What size block or strip?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What size block or strip?

I would like to make a 5 1/2" unfinished 9-patch block. What size do I cut each individual block? I could also make strips first but what size should the strips be? Heaven help me I am not good at math. hehehe Thanks.

Re: What size block or strip?

the numbers are not working in your favor...you can't do an unfinished 5 1/2" block in a 9 patch pattern...

you need to figure the width of each block in the 9 patch...if they were 2 1/4" blocks/strips..then you would take 1/4" on each side for seam allowance....this will leave you with a 5 1/4" block...or a 4 3/4" finished block.

if you start with 2 1/2" blocks then you would end up with a 6 1/2" unfinished or a 6" finished.

of all the things I love about quilting...I really HATE the math part!!
    Michele

Comment

Thanks shell.scraps. I will have to figure something else out as far as pattern-wise.

Comment

You could do a four patch with 3" strips or, if you're feeling very daring, a sixteen patch with 1 3/4" strips. Both would give you a 5 1/2" unfinished block and might be good substitutes
        Quilting through the dull times
        northstarquilting.blogspot.com

Comment

Nice ideas jrchapman! I was busy figuring before I read any of the other posts and had to laugh at myself when I figured each block should be 2.166666666..." Anyone know what measurement that is?
          To stitch or not to stitch... There is no question.

Comment

Working...
          X