X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: My first Quilt and time to do free motion quilting! Questions

Hi
    The signing and dating,
    tend to write in fountain pen in daily life, so using this pen on a piece of cotton, tend to write month, year, who made pattern, who created quilt and who fmq (if not done myself) use vintage sewing machines here so write down the machine used, you can add who the quilt made for and why, but depends on space, and sign.
    then with a piece of baking parchment over the cotton label, to protect iron. iron fabric.
    (have recently seen a gift made for a friend a few years back, it has been rehomed and boil washed, the fabrics faded but the ink and writing has not)
    add your label to back quilt before binding.
    here is a blog post http://quiltville.blogspot.com/2014/...bel-label.html

jeans needles https://www.amazon.com/Schmetz-Sewin...e+jeans+needle change every 8 hours or each project.

did look on M* here found some quilting needles https://www.missouriquiltco.com/shop...size-1175-1490

think your jumping to the side is either caused by weight of the quilt, or not leaving needle down before adjusting hands
    are you using a extension table with your machine
    for example https://www.amazon.com/Portable-Exte...xtension+table
    try practising fmq on 3 x 4 layers kitchen paper (link in case we call things differently)
    https://www.amazon.com/Bounty-Quick-...n+paper+towels if doesn't jump to side while fmq it may be the quilt weight.

you could use large books to lift the quilt higher to level with base of sewing machine to save the side pulling
    something to think about,
    you can make extension table from a flat piece of wood perhaps mdf (medium density fibre board) cut a hole for sewing machine and add little legs, but it would be better to lower the machine through a table top, perhaps from a thrift store, there is an ikea hack http://frommartawithlove.com/2012/10...able-tutorial/
    being on the level supports the quilt more.
    then again there are quilt holder wobbly stalks that sit on floor, things can hang from ceiling to grip lift quilt, to dog holder brackets.

I use a brother free motion grip, there are a few brands, here is one with reviews https://www.amazon.com/Gypsy-Quilter...ion+grip&psc=1
    again, you could make one if 'saving pennies' or the lowest amount of your currency

505 looks like this https://www.amazon.com/5O5-Spray-Tem...spray+adhesive

hope this helps

Comment

I use a fabric square folded once diagonally to make a quilt label that can be sewn to the side and bottom edges of the quilt before sewing on binding. That leaves only the folded edge to be sewn down by hand. I write on the label with a permanent marker or pigma pen and heat set it with the iron before sewing onto the quilt. Here's a blog post showing how to make and place a corner label: https://sassafras-lane.com/blogs/news/9612445-sewology-sunday-easy-quilt-label
      *~* Myrna *~*
      *~* Quilters lead pieceful lives *~*

Comment

I have been using a Brother machine for a couple of years. Love it. Remember to lower the feed dogs, and use the quilting zig-zag stitch. Set the stitch length and width to 0., And set your stitch regulator to half or faster. The rest comes with, as has already been stated, PRACTICE. 🤗
        Just love everyone. I'll sort them out later. -God

Comment

Oh, and set your tension to about 7.
          Just love everyone. I'll sort them out later. -God

Comment

"I bought Elmer's Craft Bond spray adhesive. On the back it says it can be used on fabrics even leather. And it was in the quilting area. Is this the wrong stuff? I have a feeling it might not be what is recommended and might be causing that stiffness I talk about. "

I don't want to discourage you but, there are several Elmer's Craftbond spray's and some are permanent, and the glue won't wash out, so the stiffness may remain. In the future you should look for "Basting Spray", there are several brands that are very good and water soluble (they are smelly though, so always use in a well ventilated area - I do mine outside when weather permits).

I always pre-wash baby and children's quilts (most adult size ones too for that matter) before gifting them, for several reasons: the first and IMO the most important reason, to wash out the adhesive and any oils or dirt from my hands (think about how many times we touch our faces when we are sewing).

Also if there are going to be any seam failures, or dyes running after a wash, I want to have an opportunity to fix it before giving the quilt. This has happened to me several times, and I know if those seams failed for the recipient they might think that they did something wrong, when the problem was with my stitching.

And finally, after the first wash, all quilts have some shrinkage and get that soft crinkly look (some more than others), and again I would rather give the quilt with that look instead of the recipient thinking that they washed the quilt wrong.

On another topic you mentioned...Jumping foot, Darning Foot, and Hopping Foot...they are all the same thing, so it sounds like you did the right thing with your machine by putting on the darning plate since your feed dogs won't go down.

Have fun, enjoy the process. Don't sweat the imperfections, perfection isn't what makes a beautiful quilt, it's the love put into it that makes it warm and beautiful.

Can't wait to see your first creation, the back sounds like fun! Many of us will piece a backing with left over fabrics, sometimes it's out of necessity and sometimes just feeling playful. But for what ever reason, they are always interesting backs and it's like getting two quilts in one!

Comment

Hello Quilter Friends!

Well, I have been practicing and practicing my free motion quilting and I am proud to say I am doing much much better. I can't believe at one time I thought of just beginning my quilt without even practicing first! That would have been a disaster! I am so glad that I came to my senses. Because there is no way any one could quilt the top piece with out practicing first. It is actually a lot harder than it looks. At least it was for me. Plus, I still haven't actually started my quilt yet. I know that is going to be so much harder. Right now I am practicing on like 15x15 pieces. So it's a lot easier than it will be on my quilt. I really am worried about this part. I have a desk that I put my sewing machine on but the table is going out the wrong way. So, really I have hardly any space for my quilt to lay out on as I am quilting it. I am going to have to stack things together I guess. There isn't any other place in the house I can do this. Right now I am practicing on my kitchen table and as it is I have taken it up for too long now. I have to move it back to my bedroom where my desk is.
              I also wanted to add that I did in fact have my walking foot on wrong. :-/ I forgot to put the presser foot bar in between the fork on the walking foot! What a difference! I'm such a spaz some times. I still haven't decided however, how many lines I want to put in and how much space in between them. If I use lines all.
              And I am so glad someone mentioned light yellow as a color I should use. I changed my color to this and it really is probably the best color to go with.I like the way it looks as compared to the others. Now all I have to do is find it online without it breaking the bank. I don't have a lot of money right now and I can't wait. I have to get this quilt finished by Christmas. Does any one know where I can get some decent but cheap Quilters thread? And the bigger question is does anyone know where I can get Quilters thread in light yellow? When I was looking around before for Quilters thread I didn't see a whole lot of colors. Only whites and off whites, natural , light beige, colors like that, that a lot of Quilters like to use.
              I was having a lot of trouble with tension. What a pain it was for me trying to figure that out but I think I finally have it. It's at a +2 for my machine. Before the top looked good but when you turned it over it was nothing but loops and bird nests.
              Well, I wanted to get this on here before going back at it. I will write some more a little later. I'm sure there is a lot I forgot too. Thanks everyone!

Comment

Hi, I am glad you addressed this. I kind of figured I was using the wrong one but really didn't know. I am so upset with myself for not making absolute sure before hand. At least I only sprayed one side. It was done by mistake but I am glad for those little mistakes! I have been practicing with the same stuff and so far it has been o.k. But I am for sure going to be changing my needle as I work through my quilt. I have plenty of needles.
                And thanks for the cheer up there in the end. I will do just that. I will give this quilt to my niece no matter what. It was too hard and took too long! :-) And I already can't wait to start another with my new experience backing me up. I am going to do a little boy's quilt next for her brother. And then one for my mom, son, and finally myself. LOL I am excited. Now only if I had the money to buy the fabric I actually want to buy. But that is a whole different subject. I found the cutest stuff on line and the prettiest for my Mom but it is so expensive. I will have to save my pennies! Thanks for your post. Have a good day!

Comment

Sounds like you are having fun! FMQ is tough to learn, but once it all clicks in place it's so satisfying.

For the work space issue for when you're ready to tackle the quilt, I would recommend watching this video (and her others in this series as well). Patsy is a great instructor and I've learned lots from her tutorials.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-DmW-1L9Ua0

For your thread, I would suggest sticking with the same brand and weight you've been practicing with, at least for now until you feel more adventurous. In a previous post you mentioned that you were using Aurifil (the number references the color - which may be the reason you were only coming up with whites), but Hancocks has quite a variety of other colors, so here's a link to their yellows:

http://www.hancocks-paducah.com/s.nl...aurifil+yellow

By the way, I love Aurifil threads for my piecing and for FMQ on my domestic machine.

Comment

Originally posted by Rock View Post
                    I have been using a Brother machine for a couple of years. Love it. Remember to lower the feed dogs, and use the quilting zig-zag stitch. Set the stitch length and width to 0., And set your stitch regulator to half or faster. The rest comes with, as has already been stated, PRACTICE. 珞
                    I'm sorry, what do you use the zig zag stitch with? I also have Brother sewing machines. or rather I have one right now and I have had more in the past. There good little machines I think.

Comment

Oh, I have been practicing with regular sewing thread. Different ones. I didn't want to use my actual thread I only have so much of it. Thanks for both of the links I will check them out.

Comment

What thread weight should I use? What is everyone else using? Or recommend? Thanks!

Comment

On my domestic machine (vintage Singer) I always use Aurifil 50 weight. My machine is pretty picky about threads, and this works well for me.

Sure it's a little more pricey than stuff I could buy at JoAnne's or Walmart, but the big savings comes from lack of aggravation, and I tend to buy large cones on sale in colors that I use often so that helps to keep the cost down overall.

Comment

Is superior thread any good? Here is the one I am looking at.

Superior Threads 11602-517 So Fine Limon 3-Ply 50W Polyester Thread, 3280 yd

Comment

Eascusa, i'm going to send you a private message thru the forum, which MSQ will forward to your email (wanted to forward you so you don't think it's spam LOL)

Comment

Originally posted by Caroline T. View Post
                                Eascusa, i'm going to send you a private message thru the forum, which MSQ will forward to your email (wanted to forward you so you don't think it's spam LOL)
                                Hi Caroline,
                                Sorry, I tried to receive your message but my computer told me I couldn't because I need my pop up blocker on. And I am not sure how to even do that at the moment. If you like you can e-mail me at [email protected]. Thanks

Comment

Working...
                                X