Screwed up the back of my quilt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Screwed up the back of my quilt

Is the backing fabric a solid or print? It should be fine if not an obvious directional print.

I have also done horizontal seams on backing fabrics. The backing on my current project is two pieces seamed horizontal with 2 yards on top and 2 yards on bottom. It also uses less fabric than piecing it vertically.

You want to make sure to match the direction of the fabric selvages.

Comment

I frequently make horizontal seams in the backing, no problem. I try to seam the backing the most efficient way and use the least fabric.
      Most people would not question this and if they do you can tell them it is common practice.
      Don't worry, be happy.

Comment

I love Claire’s advice. Also, I personally would never notice this. It is just something I do not ever see.

Comment

Okay Sandy it's Carol here, you are doing just fine. You actually have a plus going on because sometimes when fabric is laid out with all the seams going in the same direction they tend to fall on top of each other. Then when you are echo quilting where the seams are pressed open you are going through four to six layers that are all stacked on top of each other, especially when we are doing hand quilting on a Hawaiian quilt. You're doing great, don't stress over something that has no eternal consequences, keep a happy face your quilt knows.

Comment

Originally posted by surfergirl View Post
            Okay Sandy it's Carol here, you are doing just fine. You actually have a plus going on because sometimes when fabric is laid out with all the seams going in the same direction they tend to fall on top of each other. Then when you are echo quilting where the seams are pressed open you are going through four to six layers that are all stacked on top of each other, especially when we are doing hand quilting on a Hawaiian quilt. You're doing great, don't stress over something that has no eternal consequences, keep a happy face your quilt knows.
            Carol your the best. Finally got it sandwiched and pinned today and of course I ran out of safety pins so had to use straight pins lol. Going to start tomorrow to echo stitch. Lol. Stressing. Thanks for the words of encouragement means a lot. I just love this forum.
            sigpicHawaiigrammi

Comment

I'm late to the party, but I do this all the time. In some cases, I have even added a row of blocks horizontally or vertically to make everything fit.
              I'd take the big chalk OOPS! off though!
              Be who you are and say what you feel
              because those who mind don't matter,
              and those who matter don't mind. - Dr. Seuss

http://www.toggpine.wordpress.com

Comment

Originally posted by toggpine View Post
                I'm late to the party, but I do this all the time. In some cases, I have even added a row of blocks horizontally or vertically to make everything fit.
                I'd take the big chalk OOPS! off though!
                Ok I’ll take oops off lol never done horizontal backing before lol
                sigpicHawaiigrammi

Comment

Sounds like you are on the right track. Don't fret. Horizontal piecing of the back is rather common. Recently I was quilting a t shirt quilt for someone and got to the bottom of the quilt and noticed that my backing was too short (and yes it was on the longarm). To make it worse, it was directional fabric and I had no more. It already had a vertical seam, so I ended up with both vertical and horizontal seams in the backing. At least I was able to match the directional print so it wasn't noticeable. Good thing I had some extra time in the schedule! You are doing great.

Comment

Originally posted by KarenC View Post
                    Sounds like you are on the right track. Don't fret. Horizontal piecing of the back is rather common. Recently I was quilting a t shirt quilt for someone and got to the bottom of the quilt and noticed that my backing was too short (and yes it was on the longarm). To make it worse, it was directional fabric and I had no more. It already had a vertical seam, so I ended up with both vertical and horizontal seams in the backing. At least I was able to match the directional print so it wasn't noticeable. Good thing I had some extra time in the schedule! You are doing great.
                    Wow sounds like you really had a huge issue lol glad to hear you fixed your problem. Thanks for the boost.
                    sigpicHawaiigrammi

Comment

Working...
                    X