Trying to iron seams open

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trying to iron seams open

I find that I can match seams better if I iron the seams open. However, I have an awful time trying to pry the seams open to iron them. I have tried using the point of the seam ripper, credit card, etc. but nothing works well and I seem to spend more time trying to iron seams open than sewing- not much fun! Does anyone have an answer?

Re: Trying to iron seams open

You might try finger pressing them open before you iron or even using a bamboo corner press if your nails are not strong. Also you can use a half round dowel between 2"-3" diameter and lay your seam on it, it works well to press open.

I did purchase a few silicone tools to avoid burns. One was finger tips, and the other is a blue tool to hold the seam open while you press.

Enjoy life and do what makes you happy. Everything else will follow.

Every day I try to do one thing that challenges my comfort zone.

Comment

I bought some Strip Sticks (I'll see if I can find a link) They are padded strips you lay your block over. One side is rounded, the other flat. It just lifts the seam up and makes it much easier to press seams open. They are well worth it!

Well I just checked and M* has them. They are well worth the money if you press seams open.
      Last edited by quiltingaway; October 23, 2018, 07:46 AM.

Comment

Here is how I do it with very little trouble. Don't open the blocks, put on the ironing board just as you see them. Use your fingers to open the end of the seam. Then only iron the bottom seam allowance. When that is done you can flip and iron the other side. If you don't feel it is flat enough you can then run your iron over the whole open seam.

Comment

I also recommend using Strip Sticks.

Comment

I second finger pressing before ironing.
            "People were created to be loved. Things were created to be used. The reason why the world is in chaos is because things are being loved and people are being used"― Dalai Lama XIV

Comment

Another vote for finger pressing. Also, I don't use steam when my fingers are that close to my iron. But seams are stubborn so when I flip the block over I mist it then iron that sucker down.
              It's not always possible when constructing, but if I know my seams will be open, I take a backstitch in the block seam. It helps them from opening too much.

Comment

I'm a huge fan of finger pressing after watching Donna Jordan. It's even better if you use spray starch.
                Michele

to the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world...

Comment

The only seams I press open are HSTs & the seams on binding strips. Other seams nest much better if they're pressed in opposite directions. When I'm pressing seams open, I turn off the steam so I don't burn my fingers.

Comment

Here you go: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=15a8jYHcipY
                    sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

I'm a finger pressing gal.

Comment

Barb ~ Thanks for sharing that link about seam pressing. It also gives a demo on how to use that stick.

Comment

Such good ideas. I am generally too lazy to press open, but if I must, I find a finger press right after I sew works well in setting the seam open.

Comment

I find that skipping the seam setting first helps to get between the two layers in the seam allowance. The setting tends to make them want to stick together a little more. I'm also a fan of finger pressing (with my nail) before hitting it with the iron.

Comment

Wow! I knew you were all smart ladies and gents! Thanks for all the great suggestions. Thanks " quilting away". I had never heard of Strip Sticks. They look so helpful and I have ordered some from MSQC. NanaMary

Comment

Working...
                              X