border sizes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

border sizes

Altho I have been sewing for over 60 years, I am new to quilting and its techniques and tools, and frankly am somewhat overwhelmed by the math involved! I want to make a Christmas table runner finished at approximately 16" x 40" with one or two smaller borders, but am unsure about the ratios for a border or borders. Is there some standard or formula that people use to determine the width of multiple borders so they look proportional and actually add to the beauty of the runner rather than overwhelming it? I know how individualized people's tastes are, and realize that I can make whatever suits my fancy, but I have seen some beautiful runners and table toppers that were, in my opinion, spoiled by the choices of border width. Can anyone provide me with a little guidance?Guess I am just an old dog attempting to learn new tricks too late in life!

Re: border sizes

Well hello Suz and welcome to the forum. Quilting is like a big ole world of new math to me too. I wish I had the answer but alas I struggle too. Usually my borders are to make a quilt bigger faster and sometimes I get lucky and the borders do compliment too!

Comment

That's one of those "personal preference" things. What looks good to you is what you should use. There really aren't RULES in quilting, any more that RULES make a Picasso
      TRUTH is seldom appreciated, unless you happen to agree with it. When you don't agree, you just call it rude.

Comment

Hi SueZQ, welcome to the forum. As mentioned earlier, there are no rules.

If I wanted a topper finished to the size you mentioned, I would have three 12 1/2" blocks, with 2 1/2" sashing between, and 2 1/2" border. Finished it should measure about 16 x 40.

Now if I was making a quilt and the block was 12 1/2", I would add a 2 1/2" sashing and first border and a second border between 5.5 to 6" second border. Of course this is what I learned in course, but these can adjusted, especially if you need to make it bigger or smaller.

Enjoy life and do what makes you happy. Everything else will follow.

Every day I try to do one thing that challenges my comfort zone.

Comment

Your project sounds small enough that taking a piece of fabric and “modeling” it with your runner may be the solution. Just take a piece of fabric and fold it until it is 4 inches larger than your sewn piece. Lay that puece on top. Then remove it and fold it smaller, or unfold it to make it a larger border. Your preference can be determined by fabric size auditions.
          Blogging ahead.....research in quilting and sewing with a dab of cooking/recipes too.

https://myquiltprojects.wordpress.com/

https://thecookbookproject.wordpress.com/

Comment

Thank you all for the words of wisdom and the re-enforcement of my own instincts to just fold and experiment until I like the look. Like everything else in sewing, it all takes practice and time pre-planning. Thank you for the support, I really appreciate it.

Comment

Working...
            X