Vintage linens

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Vintage linens

I have had fun at some estate sales and collected some pretty hankies doilies, and my favorite - embroidered dresser scarves and doilies. Some of them have hand-tatted borders. (I was so excited) I want to mix them with similar colored print fabrics kind of a crazy quilt style but instead of velvets, use cottons and lighter colors. If you have ever done this, how did you keep the embroidery from unravelling? I am going to have to cut through some of the embroidered areas. i want to make some gifts for the ladies in my family - aged 30-90, and wondering if you have any ideas? They are going to little very girly and maybe a little fragile, so I was afraid that maybe something like a tote bag would not be practical. Sadly I have neither the room nor the patience to make a bunch of full sized quilts, so smaller things would be better. I saw a cute "Book pillow" which props your book up at an angle and thinking my sister might appreciate that. I sure would appreciate advice from some of you talented sewers! Thankyou

Re: Vintage linens

Not sure this would work for you or not - I'm about halfway finished with a quilt 'throw' that will be king-sized using some embroidery pieces, lace, some doilies, crochet, ribbons, etc. I'm using Elmer's School Glue to fasten the pieces to a muslin backing and once the glue has dried (it can be hurried by ironing over the piece) I then stitch around the edges and through the larger pieces using some decorative stitches. Unfortunately I don't have pictures right now, but I would venture to say if you absolutely had to cut through hand-stitched embroidery that you may want to either glue the edges and perhaps use a satin stitch over them, or turn the raw edge under. A lot will depend upon how detailed you may want and whether or not it would be absolutely necessary to cut a piece of handwork . . . no surefire method, but something to think about.
    Sometimes, when there's a raging fire,
    it's best not to try to put it out with gasoline.

"...pal carajo con la negatividad..."

Comment

I would suggest adding some fusible interfacing on the backs to keep the embroidery from fraying. Other than that, I think it would be a great idea. I had some of my grandmothers old hankies framed between two pieces of glass.
      No act of kindness, however small, is ever wasted.
      Aesop

Comment

Sandy, looking forward to your finished piece. I have been
        buying old linens when I see them for a future quilt.

Comment

Working...
        X