Frustated

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Frustated

Bought a second hand Baby Lock Jane (great machine) with a Grace Pinnacle frame and Sure stitch regulator. Question is, seems I can only quilt one way on frame (left to right). When I return, thread breaks. Very frustrating. Can anyone help with suggestions? Thanks in advance!!

Re: Frustated

I am not much help BUT I did watch a video Leah Day put out.
    She was having similar issues with her machine. She said it went away when she adjusted her speed going that direction.

Comment

My Pfaff GrandQuilter ( Tin Lizzie clone) did this when I tried to do a straight line quilting pattern across from left to righ ( everything Ok) but right to left-- tons of thread breaks. I got an opportunity to speak directly to the technician who did an upgrade on my machine. He told me that this was a common problem. There really isn't a fix for it. I can meander right to left without a problem, but not straight line. Something about how the thread feeds through the bobbin causes extra friction that causes the thread to break when going that direction. It can also happen when free motion quilting using a domestic machine when you are moving your fabric in a certain direction ( as in closing a circular pattern from the 9 o' clock position to the 12 o'clock position). So I plan my quilting to travel from left to right, cut my thread on the right and move the carriage to the left to start my next row of quilting. That sure beats dealing with lots of thread breaks mid way through your quilting pass. One thing my tech told me is some machines don't have a problem quilting back and forth, but he only had one machine in his "stable" that did that, and he had sold it! His wife was not happy with this situation, as she is the actual quilter in the business!

Comment

MamyGale, could you trade out your Janes and put the other one on the frame and see if it quilts better going right to left? I love my straight stitch machine! Singer S16-Janome 1600 clone. They are great workhorses! My preferred machine over my Janome 15000 for most jobs!

Comment

THANKS!!! I had thought about just going left to right...wouldn't really be a problem most of the time. Thank you so much for info!!!

Comment

I only have a Singer 8500 and another small Singer.

Comment

Thank you so much! Will look that video up!!!

Comment

I wonder if using a larger size needle would help. There might be a little bit of pull on the needle when sewing in a certain direction that would cause the thread to rub on something.
                A larger needle helped with a stitch-skipping issue I had. Yes, you can see the stitch holes for a while, but it's not a permanent thing.

Comment

I heard this from a lot of people. Generally most seem to be agreeing that the machines prefer going from left to right to avoid breakage. This doesn't appear to happen though if you are doing meandering. I found that yes I get breakage if I try to go right to left every other row but it doesn't occur until about a quarter to a half of the return length. (hence meandering isn't a problem)
                  https://forum.missouriquiltco.com/co.../icon_wave.gif
                  Women are Angels. When someone break's our wings we will continue to fly-usually on a broomstick.We're flexible like that.

Comment

My longarm does not like going right to left in a straight line. I can do panto's as long as it's not a straight line. I got very frustrated with it before doing the research on line and finding out the same thing as Jean mentioned.
                    Vonnie

Comment

My advice? (FWIW) Don't travel in the direction of thread breaks. At least not for very far. This "built in problem" is due to needle placement and threading direction. It will happen on your home machine in regular stitching mode as well when in reverse. Try backstitching around the perimeter of your quilt. Long runs in reverse, particularly at any speed over a crawl and you'll see the same thing. The thread simply won't nest in the scarf properly going in reverse.

Meander works because you don't travel far in any one direction. The thread has a chance to "organize" itself before breakage can occur. On a sit-down (mid-arm) it may help to turn the fabric slightly to get where your going so's you're NOT pulling away in a straight line from the threading direction.
                      You gots to risk it to gets the biscuit-

Comment

THANKS for all the advice!!! Gonna get "unfrustrated" and try the tips you've given me...thanks again!!!

Comment

Jean, have you used your Singer S16-Janome 1600 clone on a frame? I have the Janome 1600 that I bought used with a Grace frame. I have not been able to use it - when I tried it made a mess and I just really have not had time to play with it. I did try using it as a straight stitch machine and couldn't get the tension right so am going to have it serviced. Don't know if the tension was the issue when it was on the frame but think it could have been - as well as operator incompetency.
                          Donna

Comment

Originally posted by dwil23 View Post
                            Jean, have you used your Singer S16-Janome 1600 clone on a frame? I have the Janome 1600 that I bought used with a Grace frame. I have not been able to use it - when I tried it made a mess and I just really have not had time to play with it. I did try using it as a straight stitch machine and couldn't get the tension right so am going to have it serviced. Don't know if the tension was the issue when it was on the frame but think it could have been - as well as operator incompetency.
                            No, I bought my longarm several years before I bought the S16, so I have no reason to put the smaller machine on the frame. I'm sorry you are having trouble with the 1600, I have found mine to be pretty invincible with any task I throw at it, including sewing leather and vinyl purse elements. I hope you can get yours going. Do you have a Janome tech close by who could look at your machine?

Comment

Originally posted by Jean Sewing Machine View Post
                              No, I bought my longarm several years before I bought the S16, so I have no reason to put the smaller machine on the frame. I'm sorry you are having trouble with the 1600, I have found mine to be pretty invincible with any task I throw at it, including sewing leather and vinyl purse elements. I hope you can get yours going. Do you have a Janome tech close by who could look at your machine?
                              Jean,
                              I have a Block Rockit and I have the same problem. According to the machine dealers I talked to before purchasing my machine, this is the norm for mid-arm and long-arm machines. I just don't chance it. When I get to the end of a row, I go back to the beginning and stitch to the right. Quilting on a frame with a mid-arm machine, is a whole new ball game for me and has been a huge learning curve. However, I have discovered that the problems I have had are usually due to operator issues not the machine.

Jan

Comment

Working...
                              X