How to square up a QST (hourglass)?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to square up a QST (hourglass)?

I'm working on the Super Easy Hourglass quilt and the instructions say to square to 6 1/4". I have so many different tools to use but can't figure it out.

Any tips?

Re: How to square up a QST (hourglass)?

6 1/4" sounds like a weird thing to square to, but I'd use one of my square rulers. I have a 6.5" square that has a diagonal marked on it.
    Katrina

“Nothing can dim the light which shines from within.”
    ― Maya Angelou

Comment

Originally posted by KPH View Post
      6 1/4" sounds like a weird thing to square to, but I'd use one of my square rulers. I have a 6.5" square that has a diagonal marked on it.
      I thought so too but that's what the instructions say.

Comment

Using a square ruler, line up the diagonal line along the seam. Set the marks from top and left where 3 1/8 marks cross at the center of your block. Trim then turn block and line up 6 1/4 marks on cut edges and trim

Comment

Originally posted by cjsews View Post
          Using a square ruler, line up the diagonal line along the seam. Set the marks from top and left where 3 1/8 marks cross at the center of your block. Trim then turn block and line up 6 1/4 marks on cut edges and trim
          Thank you! I'm not good with rulers lol

Comment

I'm not sure what pattern you are using, but you might check on the website that it is from to see if there was an error in printing. And some patterns do call for odd measurements.

Comment

Why is 6 1/4'' square so weird. After it's sewn it's a finished 6'' block. I'm confused. lol
              "People were created to be loved. Things were created to be used. The reason why the world is in chaos is because things are being loved and people are being used"― Dalai Lama XIV

Comment

Nope. Finished would be 5 3/4

Comment

Originally posted by cjsews View Post
                  Nope. Finished would be 5 3/4
                  That's why I never answer math questions.
                  "People were created to be loved. Things were created to be used. The reason why the world is in chaos is because things are being loved and people are being used"― Dalai Lama XIV

Comment

Originally posted by Simply Quilting View Post
                    I'm not sure what pattern you are using, but you might check on the website that it is from to see if there was an error in printing. And some patterns do call for odd measurements.
                    It's from MSQC

Comment

Originally posted by Denise1162 View Post
                      It's from MSQC
                      which pattern is it? Is it a tutorial?

Comment

That's the pattern I used and the quilt won first place at the state fair, so I must have done it right. I used my Creative Grids square ruler to square up. I thought the ruler was 6" but maybe it is 6.5"--crazy I don't know since I use that ruler almost every day. I can't measure the blocks right now, I am on vacation in Colorado this week, but can measure when I get home next week. You probably want to do it right NOW though. LOL. Usually you just need to find the center of your block put a piece of blue tape or post it note to mark halfway point on the ruler, and square up the right side and the top from that middle point, turn the block them do the other two sides. And make sure the diagonal mark on the ruler lines up with the center of your top right and bottom left corners. I am right handed so these are RH directions. If I remember correctly my blocks did not need too much trimming. I thought that pattern was SO much fun to make. Please post a picture of yours when you're done!!

Comment

Originally posted by jjkaiser View Post
                          That's the pattern I used and the quilt won first place at the state fair, so I must have done it right. I used my Creative Grids square ruler to square up. I thought the ruler was 6" but maybe it is 6.5"--crazy I don't know since I use that ruler almost every day. I can't measure the blocks right now, I am on vacation in Colorado this week, but can measure when I get home next week. You probably want to do it right NOW though. LOL. Usually you just need to find the center of your block put a piece of blue tape or post it note to mark halfway point on the ruler, and square up the right side and the top from that middle point, turn the block them do the other two sides. And make sure the diagonal mark on the ruler lines up with the center of your top right and bottom left corners. I am right handed so these are RH directions. If I remember correctly my blocks did not need too much trimming. I thought that pattern was SO much fun to make. Please post a picture of yours when you're done!!

Thanks so much! I would love to see yours!

Comment

Working...
                          X