How are seams pressed that connect rows of blocks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How are seams pressed that connect rows of blocks

I am making triple irish chain quilt. Directions are very good about how to press seams for individual blocks but after row or blocks has been completed and sewn to second (or next row) how is this long seam pressed? top/bottom or open?

Re: How are seams pressed that connect rows of blocks

I haven't made a Triple Irish Chain... I usually press rows up or down, I rarely press seams open.

I'm sure someone else will chime in that's made the triple Irish chain.
    Katrina

“Nothing can dim the light which shines from within.”
    ― Maya Angelou

Comment

thank you.

Comment

I've never made an Irish Chain quilt. Usually, I lay my rows out horizontally. I press row one with seams to the right. Row 2, seams to the left. Keep alternating all the rows. When you sew together the rows, the seams should nest. When sewing rows together, I start in the middle & sew to the right, then to the left. I press the seams to one side, not open.

Comment

I've never made this quilt, but for me, it depends on how much bulk I think there is. Sometimes I do press this seam open (especially when I have a lot of triangles meeting together.

Comment

I press seams any way they will lay flat, including open if needed. It really doesn't matter if you quilt them. Its just common sense.
            TRUTH is seldom appreciated, unless you happen to agree with it. When you don't agree, you just call it rude.

Comment

thank you so much. this very helpful.

Comment

the more I search for answers to my "problem", the more I read answers such as yours - so thank you. There is really no "right" or "wrong". This gives me confidence to depend on my common sense. thanks again.

Comment

thanks. You are right about the "bulk". Getting replies from people such as yourself today have really made me feel so much more confident about "pressing" issues. I realize there is no right or wrong - just what looks best. Thank you. This forum has helped me tremendously. I was getting tired of "searching" for answers on the web and youtube.

Comment

Yes come here for your answers! Usually they are much more on target than a google search, and if you do not understand someone's answer they are usually more than happy to explain it another way, or help you with the specific thing you are struggling with, because we have al been in your shoes and we like to help each other.

Comment

I always try to press my seams as JCY Joy does but every now and then you have a fabric combo that refuses to lay nicely. Then I press it opposite and try to remember to reverse its partner too. Then for the times I have finished the whole top and see one or two that have flipped it depends where it is if I take it out or not. If I plan to SITD I may clip the seam just enough to turn it and press. If it lays there nicely and causes no problems I'm good with it.

Comment

thank you my dear - how nice.

Comment

Boy, am I ever happy I found this site!! So many helpful answers. Even though I have only been a member for two days, I really part of the "group".

Comment

Welcome danapoint, , You will love the finished Irish Chain, it looks complicated, but it is really easy. Hope you can post a picture when you are finished. This is a great board to ask questions and offer up your ideas. Have fun---lots of info here.

Comment

Working...
                            X