I need help finishing a table runner and topper

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I need help finishing a table runner and topper

I've never made a table runner or table topper and I need to finish one. Do I put batting in it? Do I quilt it like a quilt and bind it the same way?

Re: I need help finishing a table runner and topper

I've ever only made one table runner. I followed the pattern, and the direction called for batting and quilting. Finished with binding, just like a long skinny quilt. I was very happy with it.
    Diana Grey

Comment

I would agree with Diana. I have not made a table runner either, but I would think you want to use 100% cotton batting so it would lay flatter on the table.

Comment

Terry, this is a no brainer for you! Make it, quilt it like you do a quilt, and they will buy it!
        Last edited by cv quilter; August 15th, 2018, 07:48 PM.
        A day patched with quilting Seldom unravels Sharon

Comment

I've made several table runners, and have been using flannel instead of batting. Everything stayed flatter than it would with batting.

Comment

Originally posted by Gloriana View Post
            I've made several table runners, and have been using flannel instead of batting. Everything stayed flatter than it would with batting.
            I've used batting in the table runners I've made, but I love the idea of using flannel. I'll have to make a note of that!
            Katrina

“Nothing can dim the light which shines from within.”
            ― Maya Angelou

Comment

There are two basic ways that I have made a tablerunner. The first way is to make is like a traditional quilt. The second method that I have used is where there is not any binding because you layer the batting, backing, and top in that order. Sew a quarter inch all the way around but leave an opening. Then you turn the tablerunner right sides out, be sure to poke out any corners, press well to flatten, stitch a quarter inch all the way around which enclosed the tablerunner completely because you turned in your raw edges at the opening. Final step is to quilt it. Here is Jenny using this method with this table runner https://quiltingtutorials.com/tutori...k-table-runner. (The instructions for this method start at the 4:41 mark)

Comment

Terry ~ I've made many table runners. I make them for my coffee table, which is 60" long. I usually make them 12-15" wide. I most frequently use a 12" (finished) block, so I need 5 blocks for the length. More often than not, I don't put on a border. Or if I do, it's a narrow one. Yes, just assemble it like a regular quilt. I use my same Hobbs 80/20 batting & FMQ as desired. My recent finish was the batiks one that I made from scraps left over from another project. The blocks were only 10" high, so I added a narrow border. I FMQ the body with Angela Walters' elongated swirl, & used one of Tracey Russell's designs for the border. It looks great on my coffee table. I love all the bright colors. I've made runners for most of the major holidays. I change them with the seasons. I like to try out patterns to see how they look. I've made the Love Notes, the Binding Tool one, the Tennessee block, & various ones. I made that Dandy Stars one with the Christmas Anne of Green Gables fabrics last Dec. Feel free to browse my albums. Go for it! Batiks Table Runner - May 2018 004.jpgBatiks Table Runner - May 2018 005.jpgBatiks Table Runner - May 2018 007.jpg

Comment

I've made many table runners, the make and turn method, the 10 minute table runner, and the quilt and bind method.

I like the quilt and bind method best... you put more work in it adding the binding after quilting, but it gives to most finished look to me. Good luck with what you decide.

Comment

I've made a number of runners using the 10 minute method with and without batting, the 'bagging' method and as a mini quilt. I always use 100% cotton batting.

For my latest runner I SITD all around and did meander FMQ on the pole and twist.

Comment

I have made oodles of table toppers. I am not a fan of the quick 10 minute ones. Yep, there are nice, but they just don't seem to sit well on the surface. I use batting in mine and quilt. Love to use the backing as binder. Here's the method: hhttp://cluckclucksew.com/2014/01/bi...ack.htmlttp://DSCN0533.JPGJoanD Christmas gift 2016.JPGTopper 14Feb17.jpg
                      The one in the middle is a 10 minute runner. The others are quilted and bound as you would normally do a quilt.
                      “Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt.” ― John Muir
                      “We can be many things in this life, choose to be kind!” ― author unknown

Comment

I knew you all would know what to do. Early this year there were a bunch of blocks in a box sent to the Shriner project. I have been wrestling with them for months and couldn't get them to go together. Then, yesterday, a lightbulb moment. The three that are together are a table runner, the odd one that wouldn't fit is a topper and the other pieces that I couldn't fit are leftover pieces that were included. I thank all of you for your help. Maybe I'll get it finished this week.

Comment

I use a thin fusible batting and it makes the table runners lay nice and flat and they aren't so thick. I like to make them like a quilt with binding and all. Such a fun way to use up small pieces of beautiful leftovers from bigger projects.

Comment

Working...
                          X