When SITD what stitch length?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When SITD what stitch length?

Just quilting some basic straight line quilting. 80/12 needle on 100% cotton, quilting weight with cotton batting.

I usually use whatever my default stitch is (2.5) but went to a 3 for this project. I can see and feel the difference. I like it for this project, but it made me wonder what is “standard rule of thumb.” I don’t machine quilt often and always doubt myself, but then it all turns out good in the end anyway!!

Don’t ask me for thread weight, I know it’s from connecting threads because their thread is a common stocking stuffer from DH

Re: When SITD what stitch length?

My 'go to' stitch length (for both quilting and SITD) for the average quilt is 3.0 - I like how it looks

Comment

i feel like my walking foot works better at 3.0. My machine defaults to 2.5 and when I use that stitch with the walking foot I get loads of thread breakage and tension issues.
      Gaye :icon_wave:

Comment

My walking foot likes stitch length 3.0
        Stash Treasure Acquisitions Beyond Life Expectancy. My stash keeps me STABLE, oh yeah.... and dark chocolate.

Comment

Another 3.0 girl here too. I like the look of seeing the thread. Plus it seems to move the stitches along better for me.

Comment

Well, gosh, I must have read it somewhere before today!! LOL!! I loved it at 3, a lot less drag than at 2.5

Comment

I also vote for "3"! Too tight and it puckers. I like a short stitch when piecing but a longer stitch when quilting. Even on my Longarm, I use a "12" and also use the stitch regulator. Anything shorter and I would have a horrible time ripping it out. And Murphy's law is that if I used a shorted stitch length, I would mess up enough to have to rip it out - either that or pull my hair out!
              Vonnie

Comment

Originally posted by Vonnie View Post
                I also vote for "3"! Too tight and it puckers. I like a short stitch when piecing but a longer stitch when quilting. Even on my Longarm, I use a "12" and also use the stitch regulator. Anything shorter and I would have a horrible time ripping it out. And Murphy's law is that if I used a shorted stitch length, I would mess up enough to have to rip it out - either that or pull my hair out!
                I also like 3 on my domestic for quilting and 12 on my longarm, except when outlining applique. I am currently using 14 for this and it helps with the smaller curves.

Comment

I also use 3.0 stitch length for SITD or cross hatching using the walking foot. But I use a Top Stitch 90-14 needle & 40 wt. cotton thread both top & in the bobbin. It's not necessary to back track at the start & finish. Just reduce your stitch length to 1.0 or 1.5 for 2-3 stitches. Just remember to set it back to 3.0. I also use the 3.0 stitch length when sewing on bindings. You can do SITD on a LA using a quilting ruler. One of the LA quilters at our guild uses the Microquilter 100 wt. thread, which I think is available from Superior. It's a 2-ply polyester thread. I haven't tried it yet.
                  Last edited by JCY; July 23rd, 2018, 07:45 PM.

Comment

Working...
                  X