Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ideas for passing the time while driving long distances

Hi All,
    I'm going on a long (across the country) road trip and I am looking for ideas of things that you do to keep yourself busy while being a passenger in a car. Thank you!

Re: Ideas for passing the time while driving long distances

I am going to follow this, for ideas as we may have to fly to US. This may happen sooner than later. I save those small triangles when you need to snowball a quilt. They are sorted in baggies by quilt I make. I had started sewing HST but I am thinking I could sew these by hand, finger press and square up (when in hotel room). I figure it would make great addition to borders or scrappy quilt. I would have to watch what I put as carry on.

I know some people do Hexies and that is small and portable.

Enjoy life and do what makes you happy. Everything else will follow.

Every day I try to do one thing that challenges my comfort zone.

Comment

I like to take scraps and make fabric yo yo's. They make perfect flowers on quilts. Another idea is those no sew Christmas ornaments. If you had the fabric cut out, you could stick all those pins in them.

In the summer I spend a lot of weekends on our boat so like a car ride, I am always looking for something to do when I get tired of reading.
      Debbie

Comment

i take along a simple knitting or crochet project. I usually keep something like that in the van anyway. Something very basic, like a hat or shawl that i don't have to keep referring back to a pattern. too much close reading tends to make me a bit carsick
        I don't usually take sewing projects but have taken smocking panels in the past. managed to stab myself too many times to truly enjoy sewing on the road
        “What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world, is and remains immortal.”

― Albert Pine

Comment

I've done big stitch quilting while riding as a car passenger. That works best on straight roads.....curvy windy roads might make you queasy.

On road trips we also enjoy listening to comedy CD's. A few that we have enjoyed was Bob Newhart, John Pinette & Jerry Seinfeld. It helps pass the time and it's always fun to share a good laugh.
          "I'm putting together a list of 100 reasons why I am NOT relentless!" - Sue Heck, The Middle

Leonard: For God's sake, Sheldon, do I have to hold up a sarcasm sign every time I open my mouth?
          Sheldon (intrigued): You have a sarcasm sign?

Comment

Went to Europe for a cruise. My sister and brought hexies to sew. Interesting to hear
            all the positive comments from other people. My sister finished her quilt, mine is
            still waiting....

Comment

i have 21/2 in squares that i have put together. its gonna be a camping quilt. after i get all the squares done i will quilt it on DSM. wont be perfect but alot of good memories sitting around the campfire, or riding down the road.

Comment

I do EPP in the car all the time, pre-thread a bunch of needles and get going on making hexi's.

Beth
                Happiness is a FULL bobbin!

Comment

We listen to books on cds,, But my hands were idol. If we have our son in the car, I take the back seat so he can keep his dad company and I crochet. I usually have an afghan that is in the making. DH likes me to keep talking when I'm in the front seat with him So I like the back seat. My son is 45 and married. so they are good company for each other.. Besides covering up with the afghan keeps me warm when he is blasting the AC.

Comment

When we fly between here and the US, I always take a crochet project with me. I throw my crochet hook in with my pens in my bag and no issues at all with them in security.

Comment

I do EPP or hand applique. I glue baste before I travel so I am combining shapes with the EPP projects. For the applique, I cut out and finger press my shapes and then glue baste those on the background too. I got one of those Dritz (I think is the brand) dome containers for threaded needles. So I can have 10 needles threaded and not have to manage that while the car/plane is in motion. It's handy imo.

Comment

I go to the library and check out books on tape. Last one was Sherlock Holmes.

I get motion sickness if I try to read or stare at something close to me so looking out the front window or driving is better for me and listening to audio books is best for me.
                        Vonnie

Comment

I get motion sickness if I try to read, do hand work, etc. while riding in a car. I listen to the radio, CDs, etc.
                          *~* Myrna *~*
                          *~* Quilters lead pieceful lives *~*

Comment

My DH and I have put many miles on our vehicles over the years. I will pick up books on CD - something we will both like to listen to. I listen while it's my turn to drive - but when I'm the passenger - I can listen and hand sew, embroider, etc.

Comment

I recently started EPP and am making the La Passacaglia quilt, which will take me the rest of my life to finish. It's good in the car, but have to plan ahead. On a recent trip my daughter playedca pod cast, which I thought I wouldn't like, but found very interesting and made the time go by very quickly as it was a real life innonce project theme and kept you glued to all the details.

Comment

Working...
                              X