Big Stitch Quilting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Big Stitch Quilting

Hello. I have been straight line machine quilting, and find that, due to having had both shoulders replaced, I no longer have the strength nor movement in my shoulders to manipulate a quilt through my DSM.

I plan to either tie my quilts or learn to big stitch quilt them. I hand quilted several years ago, so have some idea, but question whether or not there is a "better" batting to use for this process. I have watched several you tube videos on the process, which were very helpful,but did not find what type of batting was used.

I appreciate any help you can supply.

Judy

Re: Big Stitch Quilting

Oh I feel for you. I have pain in my left shoulder due to injuries years ago. When the pain flares up, it is difficult to manoeuvre a quilt, and I have a sit down long arm.

I don't know if this is an option where you live, but I can rent a long arm for the day. I pick pantograph, and this makes it easy to quilt. You keep your shoulders close to your body, and no shoulder pain. You just must be able to stand for long period. I wear comfy sneakers.

I guess other options are to find someone to quilt for you. Tying is also quite lovely. That was my first quilts, as that's what I saw my grandma do. Good luck in finding a solution.

Enjoy life and do what makes you happy. Everything else will follow.

Every day I try to do one thing that challenges my comfort zone.

Comment

You'll want a low loft batting, here's a nice tutorial. I think opinions will vary re. all cotton, cotton poly blend, or bamboo. I usually go by how it feels, or what's on sale.

http://www.sewmamasew.com/2014/01/bi...-top-tutorial/

Comment

I use Hobbs 80/20 for everything and I always quilt by hand. I also do big stitch and you can use the 80/20 for that too.

Comment

Thank you for your replies. Heather, I viewed the link you furnished, and it was VERY helpful! I feel better and excited about trying this application.

Judy

Comment

Working...
          X