Against The Grain or Not

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Against The Grain or Not

Hi everyone. I have a question that I am sure someone can answer. I apologize for always being a lurker and not posting much so here goes. I am making a memory quilt for my dgd from her dads pants (mostly dockers). I want to use them as sashing strips between the blocks. My question is, does it matter if I cut the sashing strips across the pants leg or do they need to be lengthwise of the pants legs? Am I clear as mud? I come from a garment sewing background and wonder if it matters at all. I am going for an inch to maybe inch and a half finished size per block sashing. Thanks in advance for any help.

Re: Against The Grain or Not

Personally, I do not think it will make much difference. Dockers fabric is not too stretchy if I remember correctly so either way it should work. If you have enough fabric to spare, cut a piece each way and test it out to see which you like better. I am sure You DGD will love it no matter what you decide.
    No act of kindness, however small, is ever wasted.
    Aesop

Comment

I don't think it matters too much with Dockers fabric. It is pretty stable with very little stretch. I think you will get the maximum fabric by cutting lengthwise. I would definitely use one of the pockets somewhere to add a special momento of her GD.

Enjoy life and do what makes you happy. Everything else will follow.

Every day I try to do one thing that challenges my comfort zone.

Comment

Originally posted by SuzanneOrleansOntario View Post
        I don't think it matters too much with Dockers fabric. It is pretty stable with very little stretch. I think you will get the maximum fabric by cutting lengthwise. I would definitely use one of the pockets somewhere to add a special momento of her GD.
        Cute idea to include the pocket for added memories.

Comment

A wonderful thing you are doing! Grain doesn’t mean a darn thing to me, no matter what I’m quilting. I’ve pretty much never paid any attention to the grain on fabric.
          Tenacity: The quality or fact of being very determined; determination.

Comment

Across the grain might have some stretch. Just enough for easing, etc. Longwise does not. If you were making rows of pintucks, they looked better if you changed the cutting direction on the pattern piece. This was for most dress fabrics. I used cotton, muslin, broadcloth and batiste mostly. Good cotton batiste can be pricey. House rule - anything I make cannot require special care. It just gets dumped in the washer. I won't buy special care fabrics.

Watch out for anything with a twill weave. Denim uses twill.

Comment

cut so you get the most out of your fabric, it will all work out just fine- if you know enough to ask, you know enough not to stretch things after cutting them

Comment

Hi! It's okay to be a lurker. I was for a bit. I usually don't worry too much about grain as long as it not really stretchy,

Gina

Comment

Working...
                X