how amny blocks make a king size quilt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how amny blocks make a king size quilt

having a brain foggy moment, am trying to make a super king sized quilt, larger than king because want to droop over edge of bed while under to keep the chilly draft out.

my question is how many 12" finished blocks (12.5" unfinished) make a super king sized quilt?
    my first math was 42 blocks then re calculated again and came out with 100 blocks 10 across by 10 down.

100 blocks sounds a lot is this right?
    thanks

Re: how amny blocks make a king size quilt

10x10 makes 100 blocks. at 12 inch finished it really would measure 120x120. big.

Comment

Bed sizes give me a fit... anyway, I have my handy dandy chart.

Eastern /Duel King -Bedspread size is 120 x120 Comforter size- 102 x 94
      California King/ Western King- Bedspread size 114 x120 Comforter size 102 x 94

Another thing to think about is borders... how many, how big? AND if you're using a long armer- How big will they allow you to go?

I usually make the quilt top to fit the bed and do the hanging part in borders.

Eastern king mattress is 78 x 80
      Cali. King mattress is 72x 84
      Katrina

“Nothing can dim the light which shines from within.”
      ― Maya Angelou

Comment

Originally posted by 201 Treadler View Post
        having a brain foggy moment, am trying to make a super king sized quilt, larger than king because want to droop over edge of bed while under to keep the chilly draft out.

my question is how many 12" finished blocks (12.5" unfinished) make a super king sized quilt?
        my first math was 42 blocks then re calculated again and came out with 100 blocks 10 across by 10 down.

100 blocks sounds a lot is this right?
        thanks
        Your dimensions would be 120 inches by 120 inches. Standard king beds (~76 x 80) are not square, so your quilt drape may be uneven, depending on how you make your bed, I suppose.

I’m currently making a king size quilt using the “You’ve Got Mail” pattern. The number of ~12 inch blocks I need are 56. I’m making a five inch border, so that makes it come out to a king size, and the size I want and need.

Another issue you may run into is the backing. Sometimes it’s annoying to have to sew that many strips together to make the backing wide enough. It might be a lot of waste, as well.

Comment

Do you want a pillow tuck or no pillow tuck borders or no borders. I am finishing a oversize king I have the same size blocks no border it self borders. I did 90 blocks 10 wide 9 tall ( head of bed to foot board) I had planned to do 10 X 10 but it was just a bit too long unless I did a pretty decent pillow tuck. My DH doesn't like doing pillow tuck so I took out a row.
          Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.

Comment

wow thanks for replying so quickly
            borders are still in design air space, but depends whether pattern needs calming down,
            doing the red, white and blue flying geese block, with a square
            (previously made into a cushion as a gift.)

intend to fm quilt ont sewing machine, arms may grow

Comment

So if you want to do borders you usually want your center design to stop near the edges of the top of the mattress. So like KPH said in her post Eastern king mattress is 78 x 80
              Cali. King mattress is 72x 84

So I would do 6 wide x 7 long or 42 or if a pillow tuck you can add a row. This would center your design on the bed. You can do a stop border or a float border. Your sides would then be borders you might need several to get the width you want.

Originally posted by 201 Treadler View Post
              wow thanks for replying so quickly
              borders are still in design air space, but depends whether pattern needs calming down,
              doing the red, white and blue flying geese block, with a square
              (previously made into a cushion as a gift.)

intend to fm quilt ont sewing machine, arms may grow

Comment

thank you all, for replying. my typing is not very fast, at moment and managed to miss a couple of reply's before, so sorry for that.

ok its all confusing, but now understand it all depends on final design elements, of whether have border or not, where want border to start / finish, and the look, wanting to achieve.
                made 16 blocks so far,
                not yet decided to do sew blocks normal or on point, all quilt element choices adding further brain fog muddling
                may need to see on bed before final choices are made

may I please ask
                what is a:
                pillow tuck?
                a stop border and float border?
                not come across these terms before in UK
                many thanks

Comment

Thank you I thought maybe I was the only one that didn't know what is a stop border or a float border. My quilts usually have no borders at all. But still it's nice to know!

Comment

A stop border is a plain fabric border that divides one section from another. It can separate the center of the quilt from the borders, or put space between two intricate borders. It gives the eye a place to rest from one part of the quilt to the other.

A float border is used to accommodate a pieced border so that the pieced border will fit precisely. So if you have a top that is 50" and you have a pieced border that is 55", you need to add a 2.5" floater to add up to the 55" outside border.

Hope that helps.

Comment

Pillow tuck- if you're going to tuck in a bit of the quilt under the pillow and then finish covering the pillows with the quilt.

I grew up doing pillow tuck when I made my bed. The thoughts of pillows and shams to move every evening and every morning was just too much work for me. (never mind that my bedroom was small and I didn't have anywhere to stack all of that 'fluff'.)
                      Katrina

“Nothing can dim the light which shines from within.”
                      ― Maya Angelou

Comment

What I was told a float boarder was is different then snippets. So you did a quilt that has a lot of background to it like at carpenter's star pattern. Or you really want the center of the design to pop out. You have the choice to border the design with a colored border that touches the HST of the star or to float the star by putting a small usually a 2 border of the same background fabric around your design making the star look like its floating then add the stop border to give your eyes a place to rest. Here is a picture of my carpenters star you can see how the center floats by using the background around the design then stops or is framed by the second small color border. Click image for larger version

Name:	Wheelweb.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	201.6 KB
ID:	1613322

Comment

Working...
                        X