Please help me figure this out

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Please help me figure this out

I need to cut binding for a quilt that is 45" x 51". I have figured that I will need about 200", so I will need to cut 5 strips WOF, right? I have about 40-41" of useable width after the selvedges are trimmed off. I only have a little bit of the fabric I want to use for the binding left, so I want to be sure I have enough before I cut into it. I know this should be easy and I'm over-thinking it because I really hope to make this fabric work. Thanks for your help.

Re: Please help me figure this out

You might be able to just make it with 5 strips. I can't remember how much the corners take up. If you could get 6 strips or even an extra 12" of a sixth you would be golden.
    K is for Karen 😊​ Albuquerque, NM..................
    Cremation - My last hope for a smokin' hot body.

Before you speak,
    T - is it TRUE?
    H - is it HELPFUL?
    I - is it INSPIRING?
    N - is it NECESSARY?
    K - is it KIND?

Comment

Originally posted by Cokie View Post
      I need to cut binding for a quilt that is 45" x 51". I have figured that I will need about 200", so I will need to cut 5 strips WOF, right? I have about 40-41" of useable width after the selvedges are trimmed off. I only have a little bit of the fabric I want to use for the binding left, so I want to be sure I have enough before I cut into it. I know this should be easy and I'm over-thinking it because I really hope to make this fabric work. Thanks for your help.
      Using your 40" strips on each short side you would be 5" short each side. Using 40" strips on the two long sides you would be 11" short each side. Soooo adding the 10" and 22" equals 32" from the 5th strip, leaving 8" to go around the corners with a 1" overlap at the end. I would cut the strips, lay them out around the top and if you are a little bit short I would trim down your top by whatever you need to make it work. Hope this helps. Or make a patchwork binding.

Comment

I would cut 6 strips to be on the safe side. When I figure binding, I add the total of the perimeter of the quilt, plus 10" to allow for corners & the overlap at the end. If your binding is 2.5" wide, you'll need 2.5" of overlap. You can use the leftovers for another project. For every quilt I make, I always make a sample block or blocks, to which I add a border (if I'm adding one) & binding along one side. I use the extra binding strips for that. Leftover binding fabrics work great for strip quilts or patterns that need 2.5" pieces.

Comment

How are you joining the strips? If you do the diagonal seam you will loose some inches. I would just do a straight seam since you are so close on inches.
          Vonnie

Comment

Believe it or not but...I have been so short on binding fabric that I have, cut it 2.25" wide to save an inch or so of fabric and a time or two I added a contrasting fabric from the quilt top to add a few pops of color in the binding (for example if I had 4 binding strips and needed 5 when sewing them together I would sew in a 12" piece between each strip, even beginning or ending with a contrasting strip).

Beth
            Happiness is a FULL bobbin!

Comment

According to the Robert Kaufman Quilting Calculator it says 6 strips. I have a pattern where it says to cut the binding 1-1/4. Sew together end to end. Press in half with wrong sides together, press one raw edge to center fold. With right sides together, using a scant 1/4", sew unpressed edge of binding to quilt, mitering corners. Press to back and hand stitch in place. I bought the pattern at a Quilt show and it came with the fabric. The seller Fabric Cafe uses 3 yards of fabric for all her patterns so it's probably to save fabric keeping her prices down. Her patterns are very easy. Anyway I never heard of doing binding like that but if you are short this might work.

Comment

I would definitely want 6 strips for safety. I wouldn't hesitate to make them 2 inches instead of 2 1/2 if that would make the extra work.
                success is walking from failure to failure with no loss of enthusiam
                Terry of NC

Comment

I like the idea of adding extra colored strips if you are short ... unless you are opposed to the scrappy binding look ... it is frustrating to be so close to finishing and then run into this problem ... good luck with whatever it is you decide ...

Comment

Have you noticed that Elizabeth Hartman usually has about 12 inches or so of a contrasting fabric in her binding? You can see it on the lower left side of her quilts. I really like the look.
                    Diana Grey

Comment

you will definitely need 6 strips
                      I always calculate how much I need then add 10-12 inches for seam allowances between strips and finishing it off
                      Happy Quilting!

Comment

Get creative. I did a binding in 2 colors because I was a bit short.
                        I sewed 2 regular sized strips first, diagonally, like normal, then alternated several aprox 5" pieces of a contrast color to my third strip making it equal to the extra length I needed, then sewed on my 2 regular stips after that. That's how I made a 6 strip length from only 5 strips.
                        I made them land near a corner, so it looked like I did that on purpose.

Rhombus_Star_Finished_Pieced_Binding.jpg

The Rest of the Rhombus Star quilt is here
                        Pieced By Me! :icon_wave:

Pre-cut Yardage Chart

Comment

Originally posted by PrettyCurious View Post
                          Get creative. I did a binding in 2 colors because I was a bit short.
                          I sewed 2 regular sized strips first, diagonally, like normal, then alternated several aprox 5" pieces of a contrast color to my third strip making it equal to the extra length I needed, then sewed on my 2 regular stips after that. That's how I made a 6 strip length from only 5 strips.
                          I made them land near a corner, so it looked like I did that on purpose.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]149835[/ATTACH]

The Rest of the Rhombus Star quilt is here
                          You have a great blog, and your tutorial is wonderful!

Comment

Thanks, everyone, for your suggestions. I appreciate your help very much. After looking at this every which way, I've concluded that I either need to get creative or find another fabric for the binding. I am using an "out of print" fabric. I found a half-yard piece on ebay or etsy for $30, but I'm not that desperate. Thank you all so much for your help!

Comment

Just another comment ~ The binding doesn't have to be the same fabric all the way around. I recall one of Jenny's older tutorials where she sewed leftovers from 5" charms. Many times I have used strips from FQs (cut the length of the FQ). The binding can be all one fabric or several different fabrics, depending on what you have on hand. The trick with that is to hope you don't hit a corner with a seam, but that is manageable if it happens. Your rhombus quilt turned out great.

Comment

Working...
                              X