Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1 jelly roll equals how many yards of fabric to cut your own?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1 jelly roll equals how many yards of fabric to cut your own?

I decided to cut 2 1/2" strips of solid color fabric but not sure how much yardage to buy to get enough to make a jelly roll size.

Thank you for your answers. I'm ready.
    Last edited by knitandtink; January 22, 2018, 07:48 PM.

Re: 1 jelly roll equals how many yards of fabric to cut your own?

There should be 2.75 yards in a jelly roll.
    Blessed are the children of the piecemakers for they shall inherit the quilts!

Comment

You can get 7 2-1/2" strips from a half yard of fabric, so you need 6 half yard pieces to get to 40, actually 42, so most people say a 40 strip jelly roll is the same yardage as about 2-3/4 yards of fabric.

Comment

Don't forget to add in extra for straightening. Also depends on how they cut it for you. I bought several 1/4 yard cuts to make some jelly roll strips with but only got one strip each. That's how bad the elbows were on that fabric. I never went back to that store!
        Vonnie

Comment

Makes M*s DD's a pretty good buy, huh. No fuss, no work. If you were able to purchase 1/4 yd remnants at $1 each...(pretty scarce, I would say) and you needed 11 of them and you didn't mess up any of them that homemade Jelly roll would cost $11. So if you can buy it already cut and of great quality for $16 -$20 on a DD, you are ready to sew!! Of course, if you already have leftover fabric, there is another story
          Walk in peace with the Lord by your side.
          Terry

Comment

Originally posted by grammaterry View Post
            Makes M*s DD's a pretty good buy, huh. No fuss, no work. If you were able to purchase 1/4 yd remnants at $1 each...(pretty scarce, I would say) and you needed 11 of them and you didn't mess up any of them that homemade Jelly roll would cost $11. So if you can buy it already cut and of great quality for $16 -$20 on a DD, you are ready to sew!! Of course, if you already have leftover fabric, there is another story
            I agree! If you want a single color JR, then it may be cheaper to cut them yourself. The beauty of the JR to me is the variety of fabrics in them.
            Donna

Comment

I made a chart for precuts.
              For purely selfish reasons, but figured I may as well post it for everyone.

https://whatwerks.wordpress.com/2018...yardage-chart/
              Pieced By Me! :icon_wave:

Pre-cut Yardage Chart

Comment

There is a helpful chart at Bear Creek Quilting Company. It's called Guide to Quilting Pre-cuts. It lists the amount of yardage for each pre-cut:

- FQ bundle - 18 x 22"
                - Color Story - 1 yd. pre-cut bundle (new term for me) - similar to FQ bundle but in a larger size
                - Jelly Roll - 2.5" x 44"
                - Charm pack - 5" squares
                - Layer Cake - 10" squares
                - Fat Eight Bundle - 9 x 22"
                - Dessert Roll - 5" x 44"
                - Honey Bun - 1.5" x 44"
                - Mini charm pack - 2.5" squares
                - Honeycombs/Hexagons - 6" pre-cut hexagons
                - Twice the Charm - 5.5" x 22"
                - Frivol - 7" square - (never hear of this one either) - specific to Moda
                - Turnover - 6" HST

Maybe someone can do the link for me.

P.S. - I browsed their web site. It has 24 pages of free patterns, with downloadable PDFs.
                Last edited by JCY; January 23, 2018, 08:06 PM. Reason: Additional Info.

Comment

Link to the Bear Creek pre-cuts:
                  https://www.bearcreekquiltingcompany...lting-precuts/

Link to free patterns:
                  https://www.bearcreekquiltingcompany.com/free-patterns/

Thank you Joy!
                  💫 Star lover

Comment

PrettyCurious, thanks for the link!

Comment

Working...
                    X