Confession and a Craft felt question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Confession and a Craft felt question

I haven't touched my sewing machine in many months. I've been thinking about just selling all of my sewing/quilting stuff because of this. I'm attempting one last project to see if I can make it turn out half way decent. If not, then I think I'll call it quits. It's not that I don't like quilting, it's just that I'm not very good at it. The plan was to make stuff to sell at craft shows, or ebay/etsy, for extra money. But it takes me so long to make just one small project and most of the time it doesn't turn out good enough to sell. I recently tried to make the 10 minute table runner (Jean Truelove's youtube version) and was a mess (I used fabric that I didn't care for, so no real loss there). I've spent a ton of money on fabric through the years and I just don't feel like I can make anything worth even getting half of my money back now. I've already started putting fabric/notions that I know I won't use on ebay, but I can't help but wonder if I should just get rid of it all now and be done with it.

So with all that said:

I want to add felt (used Accuquilt's fowl die to cut the shapes out) to a wall hanging that I'm working on, but I don't know if I can machine stitch it down or do I have to hand sew it on (I hate hand sewing). Should I fuse it down first? One color of the felt is thicker than the other, but they came from the same package, so I don't know if that's going to affect anything.

The top part is mostly venting, so no real need to respond to that, I'd just like to know about the felt (or should I even use it?). Thanks.
    Attached Files
    Live, Learn, Sew!

Re: Confession and a Craft felt question

I've never worked with felt, so no help there, but I wanted to say...love your chickens & eggs. Very cute wall hanging.

Comment

Well, I am not much help on the felt question, so hopefully someone with experience will come along and naswer that for you. But wow! Looking at yor progress so far, your blocks line up perfectly - which mine sometimes do and sometimes don't! You should not be eo hard on yourself, it looks great!

Comment

You seem to have a very nice sense of color. I agree with what tamstergt says.

I don't know that I'd place a whole lot of value on something like not being good at it because it doesn't sell. Sure..we all would like the extra money but there is a lot to be said for doing things just because we like to :-) I've discovered over the years that there is something "just missing" and a tad off with myself if I don't have a creative outlet in my life.
        https://forum.missouriquiltco.com/co.../icon_wave.gif
        Women are Angels.
        When someone
        break's our wings
        we will continue to
        fly...usually on a
        broomstick.
        We're flexible like that.
        - embroitique

Comment

I have done a lot of machine applique but never worked with felt or wool.

When I cut out shapes with the Accuquilt go cutter, I first iron on paper backed fusible before cutting.

Then I iron it down on the top.

If I remember correctly, felt does not ravel. If thats true, why not just do a blanket stitch around the edges. If you don't have a blanket stitch on your machine, a zigzag should do just don't have it to tight. I have a lap quilt my DMIL made for me where she put an appliqued rose on it and used a tiny zigzag around the edges. That quilt is 18 years old and has been washed many times and the applique has held up nicely.

Since you already have the applique cut out, you might try spray basting it or a glue stick.
          Vonnie

Comment

I agree, blanket stitch or a zig will look great on the little quilt - I love it!!
            Maggie

As you grow older, you will discover that you have two hands: one for helping yourself, the other for helping others.

Comment

I haven't done it either. My first applique was this year and I just winged it. As far as selling your crafts, it takes time and practice but judging by the picture, you are doing well and if you enjoy it, maybe teaming up with another craft fair person so that you have enough goods on the table will give you a better sense of what to make.

Comment

Your little quilt wall hanging is cute. Not so sure I would sew the chickens down. Just as a suggestion google felt appliques on line and see what other sites say about fixing them to the fabric. The other posters have given you good advice about selling your crafts. Don't forget to post them, we are all curious as to the outcome. Kathy
                All quilts cat tested and approved.
                sigpic

Comment

As an avid quilter, and crafter I must tell you one thing. Don't underestimate your talent. I have done very well at craft shows, and bombed at others. The biggest thing I have learned over the years of doing both...you will make more $ selling small, inexpensive items, vs. higher priced things. I had a very good show this past Nov. selling a ton of small, $5 and under items. I am still getting orders for bowl cozies. Peruse Pinterest for ideas, and schlep away. You would be amazed at some of the simple, little things you can find on there. Good luck, with whatever you decide. I love doing it, so it is all comes easy to me....I learn as I go, making stuff. Perfection is also not necessary.
                  Blankets wrap you in warmth, quilts wrap you in love

Marilyn......
                  sigpic

Comment

Your colors are great and the piecing looks perfect. I understand if you are no longer feeling it so perhaps a break is what you need. Give yourself a certain amount of time to see if you feel differently. Find a project/fabrics that you like and see if you are inspired later.

Good luck with your decision!

Comment

Firstly with regard to the craft fairs, for the last few years I have been making things for a friend at church to sell at a craft fair to raise money for The Leprosy Mission. 2016 she sold very little but I still did the sewing and added to her "stash" - 2017 she sold out of everything I had given her. Sometimes you never can tell.

Secondly, I have incorporated felt into things, I use a glue stick then straight stitch a few times around. As it doesn't fray, you don't need to zigzag etc unless you want to. That sort of style is popular over here, but I do understand not everyone likes the 'homespun' look, if you know what I mean.

Don't give up with the crafting just yet.

Comment

I will agree on the straight line, no fuss about turning around those corners.

Give it a little more time. I'm going through a lot and don't feel like sewing either. Instead, I pick up a plant every time I go to the market, lol
                        🌺 Lorie

Comment

Thank you everyone for your words of encouragement. I think I will just do a straight stitch around the appliqué for a rustic look, as this wall hanging is just something for me to hang in my sewing room. As I said, I was just venting about stuff and need to really take time and decide what it is I want to do with all the stuff I have. For now I will just make things for me when the mood strikes and go from there. Thanks again. I will post a pic of the project when it’s finished.
                          Live, Learn, Sew!

Comment

I'm going to make a suggestions about your "rant." Take a step back and take the pressure off yourself. Instead of sewing something to try and sell, make a few things just for you. Try to find the joy and pleasure in the craft, instead of turning it into a stressful thing. Even if the item you make isn't perfect, learn from your mistakes. Hopefully in a few months you won't look at the sewing machine as a "job" and look at it with pleasure.

Comment

You've received very wise advice here. Please post a picture of your wall hanging when you are done. It's looking good!

Some craft fairs I've attended here in FL have looked like really tough places to make any money. My Quilt Guild in New England has a table where members can sell their items and if they are priced reasonably, they sell well.

Comment

Working...
                              X