Confession and a Craft felt question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Confession and a Craft felt question

SewLiz, your wall hanging is lovely. I really like the colors you have put together. The felt appliques will be adorable and I agree with the straight stitch. I have sewn felt and it sews beautifully. I think a using a light fusible product, like Steam a Seam 2 before sewing your appliques down will be perfect. You have more talent and creativity than you know. Have fun with what you do instead of worrying about selling your works. Make pillow covers, simple curtains, table toppers....JUST FOR YOU. Don't sell your things...enjoy sewing for you and I think you will change your mind about your creativity and talent.
    A day patched with quilting Seldom unravels Sharon

Comment

I think I have that fabric! I got a sample of it at the birthday bash last year and thought it was so cute. I love your chickens too.

Everyone gave you great advice. Marilyn (auntimerm) is a craft show pro and hit it on the head. Don't be discouraged by what sells and what doesn't. I have found at the craft shows it might take a few shows before something will sell well. So have patience. Small things sell much better than the expensive items. Dish towels, bibs, aprons, casserole carriers, bowl cozies, sleeping masks, tissue holders, phone charging holders all do well.

Keep sewing and post your progress! We love to see what you've created.

Comment

Another suggestion is to practice more before you try to make items to sell. You might consider making charity quilts, pillowcases, totes, anything to get better at the craft. Nice looking handmade items does not happen quickly, it takes time to master this craft of sewing.
        Trisha
        Coram Deo

Comment

That wall hanging is nice! I think it is coming along great. I have been quilting for 15 years and have never even tried to sell anything at a craft show..but I do enjoy going to them and see what others are making! Ask yourself some questions before you throw in the towel and get rid of all your sewing stuff.
          1. Did you enjoy making your wall hanging?
          2. Did you have to rip out a lot and do over?
          3. Was it hard to follow your pattern?
          4. Did your pattern feel too technically difficult for your level of sewing?
          5. Did you have trouble using your sewing machine?

You know there are so many different items out there to make besides quilts if you think a quilt is too big of a project. Only you know if you enjoy sewing enough to stick with it. And whatever you decide I hope you are happy because this is a hobby that should be fun! It sounds like it is stressing you out too much. Idk if you just are overwhelmed or if you picked the wrong project to match your abilities.

Comment

Regarding using felt: I have been working with felt recently in making blade bags for drones. Felt can be stitched down easily with a machine. Use an applique stitch to ensure the edges are tacked down as the edges will pop a bit.
            Just love everyone. I'll sort them out later. -God

Comment

Oh I just love your chickens. Thats what I have in my kitchen. Good job its gonna be so cute.

Comment

Originally posted by SewLiz View Post
                I haven't touched my sewing machine in many months. I've been thinking about just selling all of my sewing/quilting stuff because of this. I'm attempting one last project to see if I can make it turn out half way decent. If not, then I think I'll call it quits. It's not that I don't like quilting, it's just that I'm not very good at it. The plan was to make stuff to sell at craft shows, or ebay/etsy, for extra money. But it takes me so long to make just one small project and most of the time it doesn't turn out good enough to sell. I recently tried to make the 10 minute table runner (Jean Truelove's youtube version) and was a mess (I used fabric that I didn't care for, so no real loss there). I've spent a ton of money on fabric through the years and I just don't feel like I can make anything worth even getting half of my money back now. I've already started putting fabric/notions that I know I won't use on ebay, but I can't help but wonder if I should just get rid of it all now and be done with it.

So with all that said:

I want to add felt (used Accuquilt's fowl die to cut the shapes out) to a wall hanging that I'm working on, but I don't know if I can machine stitch it down or do I have to hand sew it on (I hate hand sewing). Should I fuse it down first? One color of the felt is thicker than the other, but they came from the same package, so I don't know if that's going to affect anything.

The top part is mostly venting, so no real need to respond to that, I'd just like to know about the felt (or should I even use it?). Thanks.
                Hi, you say that you are not very good at quilting, I cannot tell by your one photo, and we can be our own worst critic. How about taking some classes at LQS, or some guilds offer classes to improve skills. This might help you build skills where you might be lacking to make items faster. This is the key to being successful at selling your products. Handmade sells, but it and you must present a professional image - not a hoakie crafter.
                Years ago, I approached it as a business would. I researched my market and where / which craft shows generally had more people traffic. What you sell might not be needed by some people, but the more people who see your product, the more opportunity for a sale. Also, I packaged my products and had information tags for each product, and always with my contact information so they could reach me for more. This kept me busy, with repeat customers, calling in between craft shows. You need to learn to cut, sew, product style, even with different fabrics. This minimizes the time to reset up your cutting area. Chain piece with same colour threads, changing as necessary. I also registered as a small business, which meant I collected and paid tax, but this ,east I was also able to buy my fabric wholesale. Difference between paying $6/m to under $2/m. Sure I bought bolts of 13/m but I also produced. In my first 4 months, i sold just under $30k of product items, expenses at about $10K. I worked at this for a few years, but scaled back the
                level of production as this was hard on my body and family. I continued to produce, but at a lesser level. That was 17 years ago from my first craft show. Now I sew enough for one 1-day show, and with sales just under $1k. That is good enough for me.
                Once your product is ready for the show, have a table/booth that displays your product to maximum. Cover boxes and drape with solid colour fabric. You can add height and interest at your table. Hand out business cards. On the back, add list of available products.
                On your chickens, they are cute, if you haven't used fusible before cutting, just set in place with dabs of glue, and do a blanket stitch all around. Felt won't fray when washed.
                Keep at it, don't give up unless you really don't enjoy it. Remember, sewing / quilting or any other hobby/sport is meant to be fun and meaningful.
                Suzanne

Enjoy life and do what makes you happy. Everything else will follow.

Every day I try to do one thing that challenges my comfort zone.

Comment

Working...
                X