Magic Square tutorial

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Magic Square tutorial

Am sewing the Magic Square quilt using Jenny’s YouTube tutorial. Is the pattern for this in any of the Block magazines?looking for more info on this than just on the visual. If any has sewn it, did you put it together with smashing or not?

Re: Magic Square tutorial

It looks very similar to Winter Vol. 4 #1 Double your fun.
    Katrina

“Nothing can dim the light which shines from within.”
    ― Maya Angelou

Comment

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XddSxGAlLQ0&t=4s
      Blessed are the children of the piecemakers for they shall inherit the quilts!

Comment

I haven't made this one, but I made a simular one
        https://whatwerks.wordpress.com/2017...rn-baby-quilt/

Sashing accomplishes a couple of things:
        It makes your quilt bigger without having to make the border bigger.
        It adds an element of color that is sometimes needed, either to break up colors that may be too close, or sometimes it ties all the colors together.
        Whether or not to use it, is entirely up to you. What many of us do is lay the blocks out together, stand back or take a picture and see if we like it without the sashing. If we decide to use it, we then lay the blocks out a couple inches apart on the potential sashing fabric to see if we like it.
        Go ahead and play around and see if you want it.
        Last edited by PrettyCurious; January 14th, 2018, 05:24 AM.
        Pieced By Me! :icon_wave:

Pre-cut Yardage Chart

Comment

I’m grateful
          you realized I was trying to write sashing not smashing. Spell check can be a pain! Thanks for the idea of taking photos and comparing them. Now I also understand the purposes of sashing. I had hoped to make it a lap quilt, used these 10inch blocks but the final blocks seem way too large for that. Guess this will turn into a queen size quilt and then will start a new project for the lap size quilt. Any ideas of patterns for a lap size quilt using layer cakes? When I first started quilting I bought all these layer cakes but I think I should have purchased jelly rolls instead. They seem to be used in a lot more patterns. Thanks again for your responses.

Comment

Originally posted by Scrapdot View Post
            I’m grateful
            you realized I was trying to write sashing not smashing. Spell check can be a pain! Thanks for the idea of taking photos and comparing them. Now I also understand the purposes of sashing. I had hoped to make it a lap quilt, used these 10inch blocks but the final blocks seem way too large for that. Guess this will turn into a queen size quilt and then will start a new project for the lap size quilt. Any ideas of patterns for a lap size quilt using layer cakes? When I first started quilting I bought all these layer cakes but I think I should have purchased jelly rolls instead. They seem to be used in a lot more patterns. Thanks again for your responses.
            Layer cakes can be cut into charms. Just look at your cakes differently
            🌺 Lorie

Comment

Layer cakes can also be cut into 4 jelly roll sized [2.5] pieces 10" long.
              Pieced By Me! :icon_wave:

Pre-cut Yardage Chart

Comment

So glad "smashing " was explained. I was thinking it must be a new technique I wasn't aware of and I was all set to google.

Comment

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1jF_shFK2nQ
                  this is an easy peasy one... not sure, but think it might be lap size.... GB
                  "Each day well-lived and Happy;
                  that's all there is to Life!"

Comment

I made the Double Slice Layer Cake pattern (an oldie but goodie) with one layer cake and put a border on it. It came out a generous lap size.
                    Michele

to the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world...

Comment

Working...
                    X