Binding a scalloped edge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Binding a scalloped edge

This is my first time in doing a scalloped border on a quilt. I used Eleanor Burns template and actually came out pretty good. So I have my borders marked now. I have not cut the borders YET as I'm feeling a little intimidated about what is to come next. That something is called BIAS BINDING. Yikes!! Now I do know how to cut on the bias but I don't know about sewing the binding to a scalloped border. I remember doing a round tablerunner which I struggled sewing on the bias binding. I've checked out tutorials and they don't make it look any easier either. My weakness is no confidence. Has anyone done a bias binding on a scalloped border? One tutorial says not to cut the borders until the binding is sewing on. I'm leaning more and more on straight borders. This quilt pattern calls for a scalloped border and it does look very nice. Attached is a picture of my unfinished quilt. Thank you! Oh, the pattern is Thyme With Friends.

P1010090.JPG
    P1010091.JPG
    sigpicLinda :icon_wave:

Re: Binding a scalloped edge

Yes I know the feeling! I made scalloped borders using the scallops and vines template from Quilt in a Day. It seems very weird I know to attach the binding and then trim after but I think the reason for that is so you can make adjustments if needed, that gives you a little wiggle room. It really was not as hard as I thought it would be and turned out fine. I also found that the binding goes on much smoother if you don't pin it down first. I just line it up where it needs to go and stop about every four inches and line another section up. (I also don't pin regular binding, just lay it to the edge and stitch). Go a little slower on the V part of the scallop to get a nice curve. I know you can do this!!!
    Last edited by jjkaiser; December 19, 2017, 12:28 PM.

Comment

I think this calls for a scallop binding too. Just go slow and you can do it. It isn't as difficult as it looks, it's just more time consuming than a straight binding, but so worth the effort. This is a good tutorial that I have referred to in the past, lots of pictures for us visual learners.

https://ankastreasures.wordpress.com.../binding-tips/

Comment

Originally posted by quiltingaway View Post
        I think this calls for a scallop binding too. Just go slow and you can do it. It isn't as difficult as it looks, it's just more time consuming than a straight binding, but so worth the effort. This is a good tutorial that I have referred to in the past, lots of pictures for us visual learners.

https://ankastreasures.wordpress.com.../binding-tips/
        A very good tutorial. I noticed her top and bottom was scalloped and her sides were straight. That is pretty cool looking I think. Jocelyn mentions the V part, I think that will be the trickiest part. Thank you both.

Comment

Originally posted by jjkaiser View Post
          Yes I know the feeling! I made scalloped borders using the scallops and vines template from Quilt in a Day. It seems very weird I know to attach the binding and then trim after but I think the reason for that is so you can make adjustments if needed, that gives you a little wiggle room. It really was not as hard as I thought it would be and turned out fine. I also found that the binding goes on much smoother if you don't pin it down first. I just line it up where it needs to go and stop about every four inches and line another section up. (I also don't pin regular binding, just lay it to the edge and stitch). Go a little slower on the V part of the scallop to get a nice curve. I know you can do this!!!
          Oh I'm so glad I didn't trim those borders. Thanks for your suggestion not to pin down the binding because that's exactly what I would have done. Makes sense what you described. I think I saw a tutorial done that way also. Maybe after Christmas.

Comment

Originally posted by LindaKay75 View Post
            A very good tutorial. I noticed her top and bottom was scalloped and her sides were straight. That is pretty cool looking I think. Jocelyn mentions the V part, I think that will be the trickiest part. Thank you both.
            The "v" part is the trickiest but once you get a couple under your belt you will get the feel for it and they will start to go much easier.

Comment

Did you watch Jenny's tutorial for scalloped bindings: https://quiltingtutorials.com/tutori...dge-on-a-quilt. And here is the easiest method of cutting the bias binding strips: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ws7dyihdJpQ.

Sometimes a quilt cries out for scalloped borders. Here was one of mine:

drez4.jpg

I'm so glad I took the extra time to bind it this way...it was worth it.

Good Luck.
              Last edited by Bubby; December 19, 2017, 01:38 PM.
              sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

I have done several scalloped edges with bias binding. I used the Scallops and Vines ruler. The chart that comes with it is invaluable to take the guesswork out of the process of figuring out how many Scallops fit on each edge. I did my first one and attached the binding by machine, and it turned out pretty good. I did 3 or 4 more but attached the binding on one side by machine and turning it and sewing by hand. I did a demo on using the ruler at the last forum retreat. It makes an ordinary quilt perk up and it gives a very feminine look to the quilt.

IMG_0337.jpg.

Look at Jenny's tutorial on using the ruler. She also has one on making bias binding.
                Last edited by Jean Sewing Machine; December 19, 2017, 01:46 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Bubby View Post
                  Did you watch Jenny's tutorial for scalloped bindings: https://quiltingtutorials.com/tutori...dge-on-a-quilt. And here is the easiest method of cutting the bias binding strips: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ws7dyihdJpQ.

Sometimes a quilt cries out for scalloped borders. Here was one of mine:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]148607[/ATTACH]

I'm so glad I took the extra time to bind it this way...it was worth it.

Good Luck.
                  Oh that is so pretty. I agree, that quilt was crying for a scalloped border. I didn't know about Jenny's tutorial and I thought I had watched them all. That will definitely help me. Thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by LindaKay75 View Post
                    Oh that is so pretty. I agree, that quilt was crying for a scalloped border. I didn't know about Jenny's tutorial and I thought I had watched them all. That will definitely help me. Thank you.
                    The tutorial is an older one, short, but good. Her advice to put pins in place to mark the Scallops is very good advice, because after you lay out the Scallops on one entire side, you may have an inch or two left over, and you can then adjust each scallop when you actually draw the scallop on the quilt to accommodate the difference. It is a brilliant tool, and mine went unused for years before I had the nerve to try it out. Now I want to use it on everything!

And it is good to start with a wider border, 5"+ inches, but I did them on an antique quilt, I was able to scallop a 4" border. It just screamed Scallops, Scallops, Scallops! And my LQS recommended the white binding, and she was right on!
                    Last edited by Jean Sewing Machine; December 19, 2017, 05:04 PM.

Comment

Antique quilt that I quilted and bound with a scalloped border.

Comment

Originally posted by Jean Sewing Machine View Post
                        [ATTACH=CONFIG]148625[/ATTACH]
                        Sorry Jean, I couldn't get the attachment up.

Comment

Originally posted by Jean Sewing Machine View Post
                          [ATTACH=CONFIG]148625[/ATTACH]
                          Don't know why it did this, it loaded when I first posted it.

Comment

I'll try again!IMG_0168.jpg

Comment

Jean your quilt is so pretty. I do like the white binding. Hope I can do as good a job as you did. I'll give it a try.
                              The flowers look so familiar. I did a wall hanging quilt using the embroidery Bernina Watercolor Florals.

Comment

Working...
                              X