Thread and batting for hand quilting?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thread and batting for hand quilting?

I pieced a quilt top fur my cousin because she wants to hand quilt it. She wants the traditional look, small stitches that barely show. What batting and thread should she use? I wasn’t sure if the batting and thread requirements are difference for hand quilting versus machine quilting.
    Lisa

Re: Thread and batting for hand quilting?

I have been teaching Hawaiian quilting since 1976. We use polyester low loft batting and Coats and Clark 100 cotton quilting thread, and size 9 John James quilting (betweens) needles. If I use a smaller needle I snap them in half, so I stick with the 9. Warm and natural is harder to hand quilt through and also leaves you with a flat quilt. I prefer my quilts to have some puff between rows and stitches.[ATTACH=CONFIG]148135[/ATTAC Quilt pic is of a Dresden plate that I was in process of hand quilting.H]
    Attached Files

Comment

It all depends on how you want it to look. If you, like surfergirl, want the loft, use polyester. If you're looking for an old fashion look (wrinkly) use cotton or a cotton blend. There are also wool, bamboo, etc. lots (almost too many) of choices. There area also lofts for cotton. I use a low-mid loft, cause I like those small stitches and a high loft is harder (but not impossible) to quilt through.

This may help:
      https://www.alderavenuequilting.com/...-batting-chart

As for needles, the smaller the number (between) the finer the needle. I, years ago, used a 12. I can no longer see the eye, so I use a 10; that could change as I keep getting older.....rats!

There is also a thread to use for hand quilting. Lots of brands. Some people also "wax" their thread (special for hand quilting).

Hopefully your cousin has some experience and she can easily make the right choices for you both.

Happy quilting!

Comment

For higher loft use Mountain Mist, a poly that has been around for years, you can get it at Jo Anns. Mid loft use Hobbs 80/20, you might have to buy online one place that has it is Connecting Threads. I am sure it is available other places too. Do not use Warm & Natural, it is really hard to hand quilt. For needles I love Roxanne (Colonial Needle, online) #9 or #10. I have used #11 but my needle threader hates them and I just cannot thread that tiny eye anymore without going crazy. I just buy Coats & Clark hq thread from Jo Anns. Some people swear by King Tut and YLI brand quilting thread (Superior Thread, or Red Rock Thread, online) -- I have used all three brands and have honestly not noticed that big of a difference, and since I live four blocks away from JA it is easier for me to just run over there when I run out.

Comment

I've never tried hand quilting, and have that on my bucket list for a small quilt in the near future. For those of you who do it often, do you hoop it or use a large frame?

Comment

I hoop. Have a frame.....used it a couple times. Didn't like it.

Comment

Thanks, Star Lover for the information. I had a feeling a hoop would be easier to handle with a smaller area. I need to watch some videos on hand quilting before I tackle it. I've only just been quilting about 5 or 6 years, and I've only done machine piecing and long arm quilting.

Comment

Originally posted by kjohnson View Post
                I've never tried hand quilting, and have that on my bucket list for a small quilt in the near future. For those of you who do it often, do you hoop it or use a large frame?
                Small lap hoop, always. I have tried hoopless but sometimes that creates puckers on the back. You do have to move the hoop around often but you get used to it, kind of like yeah and you always have to thread more needles too. It's just part of the process and you get used to it. I have a 14" round wooden hoop. I don't have a frame or floor hoop. To me that is too much equipment. I like the portability of a lap hoop.
                Last edited by jjkaiser; December 5th, 2017, 08:18 AM.

Comment

I agree, the frame was awkward. Took too much floor space and I could never get the chair/frame/height, etc all to work right. With a hoop, very portable. Not that I take it places, but when company comes over.....I pick it up, place in on our bed. I can put the angle, anywhere, anyway I want. Love the hoop!

Comment

Working...
                  X