Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What do you do with your leftover batting?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What do you do with your leftover batting?

What do you do with your leftover batting? I've made a mug rug with my leftover batting before, but what other ideas do you have? Also, is it possible to sew leftover batting together or maybe just place it next to each other in a quilt sandwich to make a bigger quilt with pieces of leftover batting? How does this affect the look of the finished quilt? Does it hold up during washing? Thanks!

Re: What do you do with your leftover batting?

Depending on the size of the piece, I use them for practice FMQ....I don't do FMQ much, but on smaller projects, so I need the practice. I've heard of piecing the pieces to use in a quilt. I've only added a few inches when the batting has come up short. So far so good. Hope others will jump in with their thoughts!

Comment

I cut them into about 5-6" squarish pieces and make color catchers out of them.
      Mix 1 cup warm water with 1T. Washing Soda (I use Arm & Hammer, can be found in the laundry isle) soak the batting pieces well, and then just let dry. I store in zipper bags.

Beth
      Happiness is a FULL bobbin!

Comment

I make zipper pouches!!!
        I sew fabrics that "work" into sizeable pices.. use a little spray baste and "patch" my batting to fit the piece... I then use a 3 or 4 stitches per inch for quilting the pieces... begin at the corner and stitche a diagonal from corner to corner. then eyeball about 2" from that center all the way across the piece... repeat doing the other corner to corner until the piece is covered with stitching... Now cit that piece to size for the pouch... the lining covers it all,,, my album somewhere has pictures of when i made these a way back when i went to the M* retreat.. i think around 2014! GB
        "Each day well-lived and Happy;
        that's all there is to Life!"

Comment

There is tape that you can use to join pieces of batting together. I've never used it but see it in advertised in quilting supply books all the time. So maybe someone who has used this tape will come along. Kathy
          All quilts cat tested and approved.
          sigpic

Comment

The tape works well, just iron it on over the seam. You can also zigzag pieces together. I have never had a problem once it is in the quilt.
            sigpic

Comment

I often use the iron-on tape to join pieces. If not available I use a zig-zag stitch. Never have had a problem fusing them together. I use small pieces, maybe 5 inch square or less to dust around and under my machine and cutting area. It picks up everything! (Don't know why I don't use it all the time around the house when dusting!) Other small non-usable pieces go into a bag, saving for stuffing pillows for the humane society. None of the stuff gets tossed!

Comment

I put them end-to-end and zig-zag them together. Then I use them, usually in small quilts I make for the animal shelter.

Jeannette

Comment

I made the mistake once thinking I could use it to stuff some neck pillows. After stuffing, I washed them and the ones that had batting inside instead of fiberfill, well, I now understand why some countries call it wadding instead of batting! It wadded up big time. Had to extract all that wadded/lumpy batting and buy more fiberfill!

Potholders and coasters are good for leftover batting. And I keep a small piece of batting for my dry erase board. A friend uses leftovers for doll quilts.
                  Vonnie

Comment

I sew the pieces together for potholder sizes using a zigzag stitch (I used to use the iron on tape and then realized I didn't need to purchase the tap using this method)...then add this layer to a layer of Insulbrite to put inside potholders....
                    Carol

Sewing Mends The Soul ~ Author Unknown

Comment

I piece big pieces together with a weird looking 3 step zig zag on my machine. Never had an issue once in a quilt and quilted. Smaller pieces used for smaller projects like mug rugs, table toppers, purse parts, wallet parts etc.
                      sigpic:icon_hug: Iris Girl = April = fabric, Fabric FABRIC!!
                      Time spent with cats is never wasted.
                      Sigmund Freud

Comment

I use my larger pieces to piece together for FMQ practice sandwiches, usually ~FQ size. I use the zig zag method. My LQS is collecting smaller strips & pieces for pet beds. I now save all those batting & fabric edges (that are too narrow to use) that I trim off when I finish FMQ a quilt.

Comment

I sew larger pieces together using the serpentine stitch. It has never caused a problem. It works great for baby or lap size quilts. Just make sure you are using same type of batting. Smaller pieces have been used for cleaning around my machine.
                          Karen
                          Spring, TX

Comment

I usually use them for zipper pouches and the keychains. I've stitched some together for my own placemats. The cotton ones I'll zig zag together because the microwave cozies don't take much batting. Oh and I've used it to stuff ornaments this time of year
                            https://forum.missouriquiltco.com/co.../icon_wave.gif
                            Women are Angels. When someone break's our wings we will continue to fly-usually on a broomstick.We're flexible like that.

Comment

Originally posted by Astatoo View Post
                              I cut them into about 5-6" squarish pieces and make color catchers out of them.
                              Mix 1 cup warm water with 1T. Washing Soda (I use Arm & Hammer, can be found in the laundry isle) soak the batting pieces well, and then just let dry. I store in zipper bags.
                              Wow I love DIY ideas does this actually work as good as Color Catchers???

Comment

Working...
                              X