Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you put bindings on your quilts with a walking foot?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do you put bindings on your quilts with a walking foot?

Recently, I've seen posts that a lot of quilters use a walking foot to put on quilt bindings. I've never used mine for this and just wondering if there is an advantage to doing it this way, and if everyone else does this and I just now got the memo.

Re: Do you put bindings on your quilts with a walking foot?

I have been using my walking foot for several years to machine stitch bindings on. It's so much faster & easier. I think mach. stitching holds up so much better than hand hemming, esp. if it's a baby or child's quilt that will get washed frequently. I sew the folded binding strips on the front, then turn the binding to the back. If you use a sewing gauge to measure exactly all the way around, you can sew SITD on the front & it will catch it on the back. I've done it that way for so long I rarely have to fix any spots on the back. Maybe on a corner or two sometimes.

Comment

I do. It pulls all the layers thru so much more evenly than a regular pressure foot.

Comment

I sew on my bindings with a 1/4 compensating foot. The quilt just runs smoothly long the edge.
        Diana Grey

Comment

I've used the walking foot and even the all purpose foot.
          Tracie

Comment

I do not use a walking foot to attach the binding because I already have the three layers already stitched together right at the outside edge. This is because I almost always do my own quilting, and the first step I always take is to quilt the three layers together right at the outside edge to stabilize it. I do usually use my open toe walking foot to stitch the three layers together with a very large stitch length, like 3.5 or even 4. I stitch approx 1/8" in from the edge, so these big stitches are covered by the binding.
            Stash Treasure Acquisitions Beyond Life Expectancy. My stash keeps me STABLE, oh yeah.... and dark chocolate.

Comment

I use the walking foot. I think it helps get all that fabric through evenly.
              Lori

http://sewtimeforme.blogspot.com/

Comment

Yep, I do too.
                and if a well known quilter makes a compelling video saying we are all nuts for doing it, I will still do it.
                Pieced By Me! :icon_wave:

Pre-cut Yardage Chart

Comment

I do not use a walking foot on the machine I use most of the time, Singer S16. I have other machines that have walking feet, but I have never used a walking foot for bindings, and they all seem to turn out OK. I used one on my Janome 8900, and broke it by backstitching. Got rid of that machine some years ago, so no further research on walking feet.

Comment

I stitch my three layers together but I still use the walking foot to attach the binding. I use the open toe foot to close up the binding.
                    So. Illinois just south of St Louis County

Comment

Originally posted by PrettyCurious View Post
                      Yep, I do too.
                      and if a well known quilter makes a compelling video saying we are all nuts for doing it, I will still do it.
                      LOL Me,too!
                      So. Illinois just south of St Louis County

Comment

I don't use the walking foot to attach bindings and they turn out fine. If they didn't I would probably try it.
                        sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

I've done both, waling foot and regular foot. Have not noticed much difference.
                          Karen
                          Spring, TX

Comment

I don't. But if you are questioning your method, I would say try it both ways and see what works best for you.

Comment

I use regular foot and lighten the pressure. I am clumsy with the walking foot at the corners.

Comment

Working...
                              X