FMQ Foot - Jamming & Bird Nests

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

FMQ Foot - Jamming & Bird Nests

Installed a new open toe FMQ foot on Riccar 3500 today.

Feed dogs down, stiching set to 0, 0.

within the 1st 3 stitches it jams -- in the bobbin area and bird nests are on the back of the quilt sandwich.

tried again, same thing.

tried again -- this time with feed dogs up (because I heard some machines need to have feed dogs up when sewing ANYTHING) -- it stitched a bit longer before jamming and creating bird nests.

Suggestions?

Also -- my foot does not touch the fabric; it seems like it is higher off the fabric than it should be. I don't know why.
    Blessings, DramaMama

"May your bobbin always be full!"

Massdrop Refer-A-Friend link: :icon_woohoo:
    http://link.massdrop.com/54bd7c22291...of0ePjsfeAaf4b

Re: FMQ Foot - Jamming & Bird Nests

Try cleaning lint and thread pieces that my be under your feed dog plate. Clean around bobbin area too.

Try new needle.

Completely rethread machine & bobbin thread.

Sometime it's one of these problems.

Hope this help. It's frustrating to have that problem when you are ready to quilt.

The FMQ foot should be above the fabric so that sounds right.
    "I'm putting together a list of 100 reasons why I am NOT relentless!" - Sue Heck, The Middle

Leonard: For God's sake, Sheldon, do I have to hold up a sarcasm sign every time I open my mouth?
    Sheldon (intrigued): You have a sarcasm sign?

Comment

Can you lower the foot to let it grip the fabric a little bit as it comes down to kinda 'grip' the quilt as you go along? took me a long time to to try to get used to the 'hopping' thing, and I hated it and had all the problems you describe. I tried Leah Day's method for breaking the foot so it doesn't hop, but have found as I have gone along that when the FMQ foot grips the fabric when it comes down, while I'm going along it seems to sorta 'grab' and helps me regulate the size of my stitches, almost seems like doing a straight stitch with a regular foot (which grips the fabric) while I'm wandering around with FMQ. Slowing down on curves helps bunches, too. Also make sure you have a slippery surface under that foot. I bought a teflon oven mat and cut a hole in it for the needle, taped it to my machine. much cheaper than that other expensive thing I can't think of the name right now.

Wow this might not make much sense in writing. Hard to describe. Blergh. Best of luck with it, I wish you were in Cleveland I could show you. Wheee!
      Last edited by pharris123; September 17th, 2017, 05:25 PM.
      Pam in the Boneyard - Georgia expat in Cleveland Ohio. Howdy y'all! :icon_wave:

If at first you don't succeed, try doing it the way your mom told you to in the first place

Comment

OH also, look inside your bobbin case, in the inside of it. I just pulled out a huge piece of FELT that lint had made outta mine, made heck with my piecing.
        Pam in the Boneyard - Georgia expat in Cleveland Ohio. Howdy y'all! :icon_wave:

If at first you don't succeed, try doing it the way your mom told you to in the first place

Comment

Thanks all for your help.

Yes Pharris123 -- what you said all made sense. And yes, I too thought the foot should be touching the fabric a bit (but not going all the way down to my cover plate -- as when I've seen Leah Day and Angela Walters quilt it looks like the foot pushes on the fabric a bit.

I have not yet seen that I can adjust this foot up and down; I can manually raise it, but it seems to be in the lowest position as far as the "down" goes. And I do not have the hopping with this foot, so I am glad of that. I did see the video where Leah bends the bar and adds rubber band to prevent hopping. Not sure what bending the bar does to help this.
          Blessings, DramaMama

Comment

Can you adjust your presser foot pressure to bring it close to the quilt sandwich? I am having the same problem and I am following this. I am going to try these suggestions tomorrow. I was so frustrated Friday I was considering taking the machine in to the machine doctor.

Comment

I also was going to suggest adjusting the presser foot pressure.

Comment

There should be an adjustment to bring your presser foot down. If your foot is not holding the fabric down, it is creating a weird tension in the hook and race vs the pressure from the presser foot. Most older machines have a nickel or chrome plated round turret on the top of the machine that controls this.
                Is this an aftermarket part not made for your machine? Is it possible the shank height is off?
                Blogging ahead.....research in quilting and sewing with a dab of cooking/recipes too.

https://myquiltprojects.wordpress.com/

https://thecookbookproject.wordpress.com/

Comment

I wonder if you were given the correct foot for your machine.

Comment

Oh, brother!

I didn't have the foot lever down!

I've had this machine for over 25 years, and I have to put that lever up and down EVERY time I put in a piece of fabric and remove a piece of fabric.

DUH!

It stopped jamming, but still birds nests on the back. I'll try playing with it some more tomorrow & see about adjusting the foot pressure.

And yes, this was is the right part for my machine (according to the people at sewing parts online) -- it is an extra accessory according to my machine manual.

Thanks. Boy, do I feel silly!
                    Blessings, DramaMama

Comment

I was going to suggest making sure your foot was in the down position. Birds nests could be if you changed the tension. If you did, put it back to what the normal factory setting is.
                      Blankets wrap you in warmth, quilts wrap you in love

Marilyn......
                      sigpic

Comment

I don't have your machine, but on both my machines, I find that if the foot is set too high, I have lots of problems with thread. When the needle is in the down position, the foot should at least touch the quilt sandwich, and possible exert the very slightest pressure (tiny bit of drag so quilt moves with your hands but doesn't slip on its own). You should still be able to glide the fabric under the foot smoothly with light pressure on your hands.

If the foot isn't touching the fabric in the down position, it allows the thread dragging thru the sandwich to slightly raise the fabric off the plate (we are talking tiny bit but its enough) and then drops the fabric back down. It doesn't seem like a lot, but that tiny bit of lift and drop will allow the bobbin thread to feed extra thread under the quilt, which allows it to bunch, gag, and jam. I am told it is because the bobbin thread relaxes back into the hook-race assembly(?).

I had a great time quilting with one of my feet that has a screw dial to adjust, but found out the hard way that adjusting too high (thought it would make gliding the fabric easier) created an ugly and frustrating experience. When I tested a clear view ruler foot on my Janome and Elna, since it has to be adjusted on the foot bar, I found out just how much a little bit of distance And tiny bit of pressure made.

Hope this helps.

Comment

I discovered my Juki is a needle snob. I switched back to Schmets and the nests are gone! I took a bit to get my tension back in order.

Comment

Originally posted by Julie A View Post
                            I don't have your machine, but on both my machines, I find that ....
                            Yes, thank you!
                            Blessings, DramaMama

Comment

Working...
                            X