Anthropologie-type Flanged/Ruffled Quilt Binding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anthropologie-type Flanged/Ruffled Quilt Binding

Hi all! Newbie here. Trying to incorporate an heirloom cribskirt ruffle into the binding for my baby quilt, and am having trouble finding a tutorial on how to do so. Ideally, I would have it end up looking like this style of binding that Anthropologie uses on their quilts (see example listing here), but I cannot figure out how they do this. If any of you know how this is done (or something similar), please let me know!

Quilt edging 2.jpeg

Quilt edging.jpeg

Re: Anthropologie-type Flanged/Ruffled Quilt Binding

Okay it appears to be a very lightly ruffle added to their quilts Lots of videos showing how to do a ruffle binding on google and utube. At first glance they took their ruffle and sewed it to the back of the quilt front raw sides together then ironed it to face out once quilted they did a simple fold in of the backing turning it under and stitched the front and the back together going thru the layers sandwiching it together. Sorry I know my poor over tired brain is not explaining that well.
    Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.

Comment

Hmmm I think I'm following you! Do you mean the front of the quilt front though raw sides together? I'm not seeing how if it was sewn to the back of the quilt front, the seam allowance wouldn't face out on the front of the quilt. And would the stitching through the layers at the end when the back's folded over the batting need to be done by hand?

Also, do you know how they would do the mitred edges? I'm thinking they sewed the ruffle in 4 pieces to all 4 sides separately, unfolding at the edges and sewing them together diagonally, then trimming and folding back in, but that seems like it might be overly complicating things.

Comment

Okay if you laid the quilt face down and took your ruffle (which appears to be just a 2-3 inch piece of fabric folded in half and ironed) you now have a folded side and the raw edges. You would take the ruffle and lay it on the back with the folded side in toward the center of the quilt and the raw edges lined up with the outside of the quilt then sew it down with a quarter inch seam. Then fold the ruffle out so it goes over the seamed edge with the folded sided now hanging past the edge of the quilt and pin or iron it in place. I am guessing that yes they did four sides the way you asked.

Then you could either baste the quilt layers together and quilt together. Then take the raw edge of the backing fold it under so your raw edge is inside and press then stitch all the way around the quilt to finish. Or you could leave the ruffle facing in and use the birthing method to attach the backing and when turned right side out your ruffle would be sticking out and then you would need to quilt and top stitch the opening closed.
        Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.

Comment

Many, many years ago I bound a quilt with ruffled binding. I actually bought the binding pre-made at some fabric shop. It was just like binding but the ruffle was already attached so I just pinned very carefully and machine stitched it down. And you could consider rounding the corners so you didn't have to miter the corners. I think this is what I did.

Comment

Kind of looks like it was 'Birthed'. Sewn right sides together with 'Ruffle' inside. Leave opening to flip right side, then sew around perimeter. Then quilted.

Comment

Originally posted by Bernamom View Post
              Kind of looks like it was 'Birthed'. Sewn right sides together with 'Ruffle' inside. Leave opening to flip right side, then sew around perimeter. Then quilted.
              You are right about the method used. I would not take the time to hand-sew the back of a quilt to the front around 4 sides.
              Just love everyone. I'll sort them out later. -God

Comment

I agree with Bernamom. In case you don't understand what she means by birthed:

Lay quilt top face up. I would use a large stitch and baste the ruffle around the edge with the loose ruffle part facing in. Lay quilt back on this face down. Stitch all the way around edge leaving a 3 inch or so opening. Turn right side out, tuck under the area you didn't stitch and edge stitch the whole way around.
                Debbie

Comment

I think it's a birthed quilt too. Only they added the flange/ruffle when they did the seam. So, it would be backing facing up, flange, quilt top facing down, batting (or batting first, it doesn't matter). Sew all around, leave an opening and birth it.

The flange was mitered, so that will take a little work. I've only mitered borders, so this one would take some planning.
                  Last edited by snippet; September 3rd, 2017, 12:33 AM.

Comment

Working...
                  X