"Jelly roll".

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Jelly roll".

I bought a Kaffe Fassett 2016 Fall Design Roll from Free Spirit on M Star web site. Got it out to use it today and I find that it is 2 3/4 inches (plus a couple threads) wide from the peak of the cut. It is a little more than 2 1/2 from the valley. I'm really disappointed in the Free Spirt brand. Have you ever had this problem before?

Re: "Jelly roll".

Some companys measure from the peak, and some from the valley. Good thing you measured it so you know. Just make your 1/4 seam from the valley in this case.
    It could be worse. It could be 2 3/8 including the peaks. and yes, sometimes people have that problem.
    Pieced By Me! :icon_wave:

Pre-cut Yardage Chart

Comment

i would much rather use pre cuts because it's really hard for me to cut a lot but the last 2 quilts have been from pre cuts and the cuts were awful. All brand names. Think I might try some jelly rolls from Jordan fabric. They cut there own. I could cut a very generous 1/4 inch of this Free spirt roll. I would if my back would allow it.

Comment

I have been disappointed in precuts, both charm lacks and jelly rolls, for the reason you noted - inaccurate size. And it doesn't matter who the manufacturer is. I bought Mora charms and ended up with 5-1/8x4-7/8 rectangles. That made a mess of my piecing and pattern. I needed 5" squares. And had Riley Blake and RJR precuts that were irregularly small in one dimension (some pieces 1/8, some pieces 1/4 and some pieces between.

I gave up. Unless my pattern calls for me to cut the pre-cut to a smaller size, I just order yardage and cut my own. I enjoy piecing a lot more with accurately cut pieces. And now I cut my leftovers into precut sizes (5" charms, 2-1/2" or 3-1/2" strips) and place them in boxes with like colors or styles (holiday fabrics, moderns, pastels, etc).

And once I started cutting my own out of yardage, I started pre-washing and drying it, then starched and pressed. It is amazing how much better diagonal seams, and finger pressing works with these, plus I greatly reduced color bleeding by pre-washing.

Of course, I still have a few charm packs and a layer cake to use up, but I will be checking the cuts measurements carefully.

Comment

Kmarie, you are lucky the jr is bigger than 2 1/2" . At least it is usable. I have had precuts from other manufacturers that are unusable for my pattern. It's pretty common, actually. After some extremely frustrating experiences (which M* made good for me as soon as I contacted them) I very rarely buy precuts now. I do get fat quarter bundles, but otherwise 1/2 yard and up pieces that I prewash and starch. I agree, the extra steps involved make me look like a better quilter, and the piecing is much more satisfying and fun.

Comment

You can see my disappointment in my post today. Mine was a whole quilt. Accurately cut but included selvedge edges!
            Walk in peace with the Lord by your side.
            Terry

Comment

Do ya still wonder why I won't buy precuts? Cutting may be a bit hard on me, but there is no reason I have to stand there til it hurts either. Why do people do that?

Comment

My sister just used that exact JR in her Butterfly top and it turned out lovely.
                Blankets wrap you in warmth, quilts wrap you in love

Marilyn......
                sigpic

Comment

I stopped buying jelly rolls because they are often cut poorly.

Comment

What about precuts from Jordan Fabrics?
                    Blessings, DramaMama

"May your bobbin always be full!"

Massdrop Refer-A-Friend link: :icon_woohoo:
                    http://link.massdrop.com/54bd7c22291...of0ePjsfeAaf4b

Comment

I've only purchased 1 JR. it was fine, but since I've been sewing for so many years, the pinked edge drove me nuts. I've only purchased a few precuts. I don't usually love all the fabrics in a line and feel it's a waste to get them all. I just buy what I love and I'm really happy!
                      💫 Star lover

Comment

I'm working with a jelly roll right now that is 2-5/8" from peak to peak. If you measure in the valley it is 2-1/2". I like to use a piecing foot with a guide, but switched to a regular 1/4" piecing foot so I'm sewing from the valley, not the peak. Even so, my blocks are coming out just a hair over what they should be.

At least with the pinked edges the fabric doesn't fray. The first jelly roll I worked with, the edges were not pinked, and it frayed a lot.

Comment

This may be a dumb question but if your making a jelly roll quilt does it really matter if the roll is 2 3/4 or 2 3/8, etc.? I can see why the 2 1/2 cut would be important in other quilts but with the jelly roll coldn't you use any size width you want?

I've never measured any of the per-cuts I've purchased, perhaps I best start doing so. Or quit buying them and go back to yardage.
                          Last edited by [email protected]; August 16, 2017, 07:23 AM.
                          Have a blessed day
                          Pam[/I]
                          [/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]

Comment

I have been wondering about Jordan Fabrics JRs. They do their own cutting and I've been considering getting some. Anyone else use them? Drama mama you mentioned them. Have you used their JRs? This may sound dumb, but what does cutting or measuring from the peak and valley mean? Are you referring to the fold in the fabric as the valley?
                            A day patched with quilting Seldom unravels Sharon

Comment

Originally posted by cv quilter View Post
                              I have been wondering about Jordan Fabrics JRs. They do their own cutting and I've been considering getting some. Anyone else use them? Drama mama you mentioned them. Have you used their JRs? This may sound dumb, but what does cutting or measuring from the peak and valley mean? Are you referring to the fold in the fabric as the valley?
                              Peak and Valley. JR's have a pinked edge. From the peak: measures from the point of a peak to the other peak. Valley is measured form the bottom of the pink to the other bottom....mmmm, reread and I might not have explained very good. Someone else, feel free to jump in.
                              As for Jordan fabrics, I've never ordered from them. So I too am curious as how there prices and service measure up.
                              💫 Star lover

Comment

Working...
                              X