How do you do it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do you do it?

I know there isn't a right way or wrong way but I'm curious. I am making my first log cabin quilt. Do you chain piece the first two pieces and then go to the next piece or finish a block at a time?
    sigpic

Re: How do you do it?

Originally posted by LauraP View Post
    I know there isn't a right way or wrong way but I'm curious. I am making my first log cabin quilt. Do you chain piece the first two pieces and then go to the next piece or finish a block at a time?
    I've done both. Where I was making each block in different shades and I had specific sequences of fabric I wanted to use for each log, I did one block at a time. When I was making matching blocks, I chain pieced - but had to be very careful to make sure I was placing the right log on the right edge (after having to redo a few logs.....) I personally found the one block at a time method to be less stressful for me, but definitely not the speediest approach.
    Slainte!

Liz

:icon_pcnoob:

Comment

I have done it both ways. It depends on my mood at the time. Am I in a hurry to get blocks done. Or do I want to just enjoy the process and make one block at a time.

Comment

I'm never worried about speed, so I do one block at a time so as to not confuzzle my brain.

Comment

I sewed mine one block at a time. I had my strips all cut & laid out in the correct order. One has to be consistent with seams.

Comment

One block at a time. I think I would get mixed up or get the pieces mixed up if I chain pieced them. Chain piecing would make the sewing part go faster but then you would have all that sorting out to do after, so in the end I think that method would take more time. At least for me.

Comment

You could do a combo method and work on a few blocks at the same time. You would get some of the speed of chain piecing, but still the satisfaction of completing blocks and not getting too confused as to where you are in the process.
              Lisa

M*QC forum is full of the best people!

I'm not just buying fabric, I am supporting the economy...

A bad day in the sewing room is better than a good day at the office.

Comment

I chained 6 blocks at a time. That solved my need for speed and kept me focused
                Walk in peace with the Lord by your side.
                Terry

Comment

I have only done it the Eleanor Burns method where you don't precut the strips. So it was chain piecing the length of the strip then trim, press, then chain piece using the next strip. I made a king size using this method.
                  Vonnie

Comment

Often I use a log cabin as "beginner and ender", especially for scraps. In this way the blocks are finished in no time and nearly by themself - always good for a baby quilt

Comment

I do one block at a time. No need to rush and get confused.
                      sigpic:icon_hug: Iris Girl = April = fabric, Fabric FABRIC!!
                      Time spent with cats is never wasted.
                      Sigmund Freud

Comment

I'm a one block at a time sewer. It keeps sewing more fun for me if I know where I am without getting lost.
                        sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

Guess I'm odd man out. LOL I chain piece the first 2 blocks together then go and finish one block at a time. I also made a king sized quilt that I just love.
                          One word of advice. Keep you seam allowance the same in every block. I had to remind myself with a piece of paper to move the needle over. When I finished for the day I put the paper under the pressure foot so when I started the next time I wouldn't have wonky seams and blocks. That worked out great.

Comment

Finish a block at a time! Otherwise, if you have to stop (planned or unexpected), it is easier to know where you left off.

My favorite log cabin tutorial is by Marti Michell on Craftsy.com; it's FREE. Search for her name along with "log cabin".

Although this tutorial focuses on making them with fat quarters, the advice in it is invaluable for traditional log cabin blocks!
                            Blessings, DramaMama

"May your bobbin always be full!"

Massdrop Refer-A-Friend link: :icon_woohoo:
                            http://link.massdrop.com/54bd7c22291...of0ePjsfeAaf4b

Comment

I tried searching on Craftsy for that and it doesn't seem to be there. There is a $19.99 class by Marti but the free one must be gone.

Comment

Working...
                              X