Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Advice pls: does this backing match?

Hi,

I finished my quilt top, Chopsticks by Jaybird Quilts, using a variety of prints my Tula Pink. The backing is Free Fall, also by Tula Pink, in Creamsicle. My husband thinks it is pretty bad together. I agree that the oranges are not the same.

So, now I am in doubt. Please let me know what you think. I'm very willing to change the backing. That's how stash grows.

image000000.jpg

THANKS,
    Diana Grey

Re: Advice pls: does this backing match?

Your quilt came out beautiful! I love the backing, but maybe not for this. A little overpowering maybe.
    🌺 Lorie

Comment

I don't love them together, no.

Comment

Actually I think that would make a great binding, but a little much for the back. Nice quilt though!

Comment

Lovely backing fabric but not for that top.....which is gorgeous I might add!

Comment

Try going in to your stash and look for bigger pieces like fat quarters, strips, whatever. Piece the whole thing together adding maybe some of your orange backing in smaller pieces. It will make a scrappy back and a two sided reversible quilt, have fun with it, not quilt police allowed.

Comment

That backing will look good with something, just not this particular quilt. You've done a great job with the piecing. It's a lovely quilt top. I think I would pick out one of the other colors in the top for backing.

Comment

Diana.....love how the quilt top came out! I've always liked that pattern. I think the backing fabric is pretty but seems overpowering for that quilt top. What about a pretty bluish gray fabric for the back with some orange leftover scraps from front pieced into the back?
                "I'm putting together a list of 100 reasons why I am NOT relentless!" - Sue Heck, The Middle

Leonard: For God's sake, Sheldon, do I have to hold up a sarcasm sign every time I open my mouth?
                Sheldon (intrigued): You have a sarcasm sign?

Comment

I am going to go against the popular opinion here...that backing would be fabulous with your quilt. The design of your quilt top is bold so I think it can take a bold backing. Go with your instincts. It is, after all, your quilt and you are the artist.
                  Michele

to the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world...

Comment

I'm a bit matchy, so while I love the quilt, and the backing, I don't love them together.
                    Pieced By Me! :icon_wave:

Pre-cut Yardage Chart

Comment

To me it isn't the color that bothers me as much as the fact that the patterns are not compatible to my eyes anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by Grey Lady View Post
                        Hi,

I finished my quilt top, Chopsticks by Jaybird Quilts, using a variety of prints my Tula Pink. The backing is Free Fall, also by Tula Pink, in Creamsicle. My husband thinks it is pretty bad together. I agree that the oranges are not the same.

So, now I am in doubt. Please let me know what you think. I'm very willing to change the backing. That's how stash grows.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]145577[/ATTACH]

THANKS,
                        Well, I like it! I'd go for it. The boldness is great and the little purple birds are perfect. I think you'll be surprised how much you'll love it!
                        Walk in peace with the Lord by your side.
                        Terry

Comment

I like it!

Comment

Guess what? Modern fabric with a modern design? Ask yourself.....would Tula use it together?

But whatever you answer, it's your quilt, sweetie! I think it would collaborate just fine! I like modern quilts and how the expression can be on the "adventurous" side!
                            Sherri

"Don't let someone else's ugly spoil your beautiful. " Thanks, Bubby!!!!!!

Comment

YES YES YES!

First: it's on the back so it doesn't have to MATCH! Who says it has to match?

Second: it coordinates wonderfully with the Tula top! Plus, I'd prefer an ENTIRE quilt of TULA vs. other designer fabric in it!

Go with your initial instinct: USE IT!

I am making a pillow with the Elizabeth Selfie (Tula) and the Orchid Free Fall for the back!

Your quilt will be AMAZING!
                              Blessings, DramaMama

"May your bobbin always be full!"

Massdrop Refer-A-Friend link: :icon_woohoo:
                              http://link.massdrop.com/54bd7c22291...of0ePjsfeAaf4b

Comment

Working...
                              X