Sewing Issues...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sewing Issues...

Yep, it's me again lol. I haven't sewn since junior high and I really need a tutor! lol

I got a Brother XL-2610 (mainly because it's pink). It seems to so far be a great little machine. I've learned all over again how to thread the bobbin and the top part. Everything seemed to be running smoothly until I grab some scraps (my half-ironed mess from the other day lol) and started sewing. It bunches up where I start sewing on the bottom. What am I doing wrong?

If you can't already tell, this is all new to me. I think the sewing part is what I need help with the most. I've got the rotary cutting down. There's just so much about sewing a quilt together that I'm unsure about. I'm not really sure if I'm supposed to start sewing before the fabric goes in or not...? I know it sounds silly and almost stupid, but I'm so clueless to sewing! Please help!

Any pointers???

Re: Sewing Issues...

I find that if I grab the bobbin and needle threads then kinda hold them taut with my left hand while guiding the fabric through and making the first few stitches I don't get that blob of thread. (phew! that's one heckova run-on sentence -- sorry)

To be honest, it's just second nature and I don't think about it anymore.

Or you can put a small piece of folded scrap fabric in first, then slip in the pieces you need sewn just as it goes through.

There's probably a better way to describe this, but my brain is kinda mushy right now.

P.S. I started sewing a year ago... almost 30 years after my HS home ec class!
    Last edited by emailjeanie; March 25, 2010, 09:17 PM. Reason: scrap
    "Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!"

Comment

When I am sewing I have a scrap of fabric that I have doubled over, and start sewing on it in the middle of the fabric, then as it ends I start on the actual sewing. I have three different machines, and I do that on all of them. The only time I have problem is if a piece of thread has gotten caught in my bobbin case.

Comment

I guess I got a little ahead of myself. I'm what you might call an impatient quilter.

After I put the foot down, I didn't have too many problems...

Comment

so it was the presser foot??

I always assume it's the machine when something doesn't go right....until I

1. rethread
          2. rethread the bobbin
          3. check the needle
          4. check the presser foot
          5. pull up the bobbin thread

then by that point I realize I didn't do something right the first time and the **** machine is working just fine!!

I got a Brother XL-2610 (mainly because it's pink)
          that's too funny...and hits close to home since it's one of the reasons I got the Innovis 40 instead of the 80!! The 80 was blue....
          Michele

Comment

Another little quick sewing question I have is, are you supposed to backstitch on piecing? I have finally got just about everything figured out and under control. I'm just not sure about the beginning and end stitching on the pieces for the quilt top. I will admit I tugged on it a little bit to see how strong the stitching was and it seemed ok but the where I started sewing the stitching was starting to come out... I hope I'm doing everything right..

Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by cathys311 View Post
              Another little quick sewing question I have is, are you supposed to backstitch on piecing? I have finally got just about everything figured out and under control. I'm just not sure about the beginning and end stitching on the pieces for the quilt top. I will admit I tugged on it a little bit to see how strong the stitching was and it seemed ok but the where I started sewing the stitching was starting to come out... I hope I'm doing everything right..

Thanks!

I never backstitch when quilting because all my seam edges will intersect (and essentially lock down) with other seam edges....so I don't see a need to backstitch any of my edges...

with one exception. when I do my binding I backstitch on either side of the tails when I'm doing the initial run for the binding...
              Michele

Comment

Nope - no backstitching PLUS i now know how to work with leaders and enders! so not so many cut threads everywhere! love that!
                Two of my favorite things, to encourage and to be encouraged
                hugs, Suzi
                http://suzi.mypremierdesigns.com/
                it's what i do when i'm not here sewing with you

GOD Bless America

Comment

Originally posted by pdjewelrylady View Post
                  Nope - no backstitching PLUS i now know how to work with leaders and enders! so not so many cut threads everywhere! love that!
                  Do tell...
                  "Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!"

Comment

Working...
                  X