Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best type of batting for King quilt

Good afternoon everybody,

I am making a King quilt measuring 105" x 105". I have to order the batting soon but would like to get advise which one to go for. If i take the wrong one the quilt might be weighing very heavy and difficult to manage for quilting itself.
    Can you please advise me as experienced quilters?

Best regards
    Marijke
    Dublin

Re: Best type of batting for King quilt

My favorite batting is Quilters Dream Cotton (their thinnest batting) because I prefer 100% cotton batting. I like the way it drapes and I like you I like a lightweight batting. I've hand quilted it and machine quilted it with great results.

My 2nd choice would be Hobbs 80/20 batting. I used to use that and was happy with it.

Comment

My first choice is Hobbs Heirloom 80/20 batting. Pretty much all I use.
      sigpic:icon_hug: Iris Girl = April = fabric, Fabric FABRIC!!
      Time spent with cats is never wasted.
      Sigmund Freud

Comment

I've been using Hobbs 80/20 for the past several years. My LA quilter uses this, too. I've noticed that the LA quilter on Tamarack Shack uses Quilters Dream 70% a lot. I personally do not like a 100% cotton batting. It's too thin for me & just doesn't quilt the same.

Comment

I used Warm and White on my daughter's king quilt and it turned out quite heavy. So I would not recommend that if you want a light quilt. And the non- sale price at JoAnns is $69.99! Yikes! Thank goodness there was a coupon. It is 120" by 120".

Comment

I buy my batting at WalMart, the polyester ones in a bag by size. I like the loft and the lightness of the finished quilt. Tried warm and natural and got a heavy, flat quilt, so I don't use that any more. Used to buy the large rolls from Joann's when it had a coupon, but now just buy by the bag when needed. I don't have enough room in my apartment for two huge rolls of poly and cotton. I teach Hawaiian quilting and we only use the poly batting for our quilts.

Comment

My preference for lighter weight batting is also Hobbs 80/20. I have a large quilt with the quilters dream and it is very nice, but feels heavy on my feet at night. When I want to use one of my quilts, I tend to grab the quilts with the Hobbs 80/20 batting more often.

Comment

You might try Kyoto Bamboo Batting. Bamboo batting is not as heavy as cotton but sturdier than polyester. My son-in-law is always hot and can sleep under the quilt I made them. Bamboo will wick away moisture. I get mine at Fabric.com

Comment

I've used Mountain Mist Cream Rose because it's thin, lightweight and very soft. It's 100% cotton. I buy it at Joann.
                  Michele

to the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world...

Comment

I have made several King quilts for our bed, and change them with seasons or months. The lighter ones are 80/20 cotton/polyester. I have also used and love bamboo. It is a good weight. I have also used eucalyptus, moid weight. We also have Tuscany wool quilt. Surprisingly it is not heavy and breathes, also like its pouff, like a polyester. I think you need to determine how warm or cool you want your quilt and go from there.

Enjoy life and do what makes you happy. Everything else will follow.

Every day I try to do one thing that challenges my comfort zone.

Comment

If you're really looking for a lightweight quilt, try a silk blend batting such as Hobbs Tuscany Silk or Quilters Dream Orient. You'll get lightweight with a nice drape, a quilt that breathes, yet has the ability to be warm in winter and cool in summer. No, I'm not an experienced quilter, but I've done a lot of research on this since I have a silk blend duvet that I absolutely love and use year round. It was a huge splurge for me but something my allergies thank me for.

Comment

I suggest Hobbs 80/20, Quilters Dream 70/30, or Quilters Dream new 80/20. I used all of them on my larger quilts (102x102, 108x104, and 105x105) and I found they were all nice. Now, that said, I really like the way the quilting showed up with the Hobbs best. It has just a bit more loft so the FMQ machine quilting shows beautifully and stays soft with multiple washings.

If I were hand quilting it, I would stick with the quilters dream though and probably go as thin as I possibly could find (Refresh or Select weight).

Comment

[QUOTE=Wyora;973036]If you're really looking for a lightweight quilt, try a silk blend batting such as Hobbs Tuscany Silk or Quilters Dream Orient. You'll get lightweight with a nice drape, a quilt that breathes, yet has the ability to be warm in winter and cool in summer. No, I'm not an experienced quilter, but I've done a lot of research on this since I have a silk blend duvet that I absolutely love and use year round. It was a huge splurge for me but something my allergies thank me for.[/QUOTEi used

I used Hobbs Tuscany Silk batting for my last quilt which measures 110x100 " and I loved to work with this batting, it quilted beautifully and it is almost weightless and a dream to sleep underneath it!
                          Find me on Instagram @auntie_uli

Comment

my husband gets very warm fairly quickly and the silk sounds good also the bamboo option

Comment

Working...
                            X