I'm slightly wonky - :(

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: I'm slightly wonky -

Lisa, you have gotten some pretty good advice. I was going to add what Martha explained, but she does it so much better than I. You can do it, just like the little engine that could.
    Blessed are the children of the piecemakers for they shall inherit the quilts!

Comment

As my quilt teacher told me, you can fudge anything! Stretch it here, add some fabric there and it all looks good in the end. Besides 9x out of 10, the person you're giving it to has NO idea and they'll love it JUST because you did it! It is so cute and the fabrics you picked look so well together. I love using the applique idea over the spots that really stand out to you!

Great work!
      Quilting enthusiast and cat rescue volunteer
      Wife
      Can-opener and Litter-box scooper to 3 very spoiled cats

Comment

I think that your quilt is beautiful. I agree---we all have some points and lines that are not the way we want them to be. We are all human. But quilting should be fun---don't get grey hair over it. True lovers of your quilt will never see your areas of wonkiness--so don't worry. I have found some things to help me get my points and corners to come together
        -starch
        -press, not iron
        -use a stilleto (sp?)
        -slow down in your sewing speed
        -and most important--a nice glass of wine!!
        I am such a material girl!!!!! Nena

Comment

Well you've already gotten great advice from the others. I just want to add that this is a lovely quilt and any baby would love to nap on it. Beautiful.
          Nancy

I got a sewing machine for my husband. Good trade, huh!?!

Comment

LX - I think that we will only see perfection when we get to Heaven....perhaps that is how I justify having a little 'wonky' in my quilts. A friend of mine asks rhetorically ' will a man on a galloping horse notice it as he rides past'..... if the answer is no - I figure I'm good to go.

Have fun quilting and don't stress!!

Lin

Comment

i think your baby quilt is beautiful....to all the ladies thx for tips you are giving her ive learned some new ones myself......my first baby quilt i ever made looked so bad but i gave it to my daughter for her baby dolls.....no one knows that its a little off but you......and one thing i learn from one of my close friends when i show her things ive made and i show her where i messed up she always tells me its homemade and if you want it perfect go buy one....lol....but with babys they never know and i make blankets for my kids all the time.....they dont care that its off they are soo happy i made them something...my 2 year son wants to sleep everynight with all the quilts i make him even thought he kicks them off every night bc it gets to hot but to him MY BLANKET AND MY MOMMY MADE IT.....so no one will know and i cant tell its off......

Comment

If you didn't have those "wonks" it would look like it was not made by hand, but done in a professional factory. Don't worry about the wonks it looks great.
                Donna
                MSQC: Where Strangers become Friends and Friends become Family!

"The soul would have no rainbows, if the eyes had no tears."native American wisdom

sigpic

Comment

Aw ladies, you are all fantabulous, you make me feel so good, and thank you for all the marvellous advice - as Ms Daisy said, the baby will be sick on it whether it is wonky or not (I love that)
                  the only tiny teeny problem i have is with nena - too late my friend, too late

the grey hair has been around for a while now,

Lx

Comment

Wow! Great advice, Ladies! As a newbie, I am paying close attention to it all. I especially love the six foot rule, as I think I might have difficulty finding a man on a galloping horse when I need one!

The only thing that I thought would be mentioned more, is to be sure to press your seams open...press, by holding the iron for a few seconds then picking up and moving....don't move the iron in a back and forth motion as that might tend to make it stretch.

Comment

Looks good to me! Jenny has a tip in one of the tutes about fixing a mismatched corner if it is too wonky. I can't remember which one though. You might have to "suffer" (yeah, right) through watching several (like that is bad!). Hugs.
                      Success is liking yourself, liking what you do, and liking how you do it.
                      Maya Angelou

~Megan~

Comment

oh dear, i will have to watch loooaads of Jenny's tutes - I love watching her tutorials!

Lisa x

Comment

Originally posted by Lisalou View Post
                          Well, now i have to...how do you know?

Lisa x
                          I've sewn all my life and have struggled with this issue the entire time. When making clothes the same thing happens. I can't tell you how many times I had to rip out a seam--making clothes is not as forgiving as with quilts Then one day my mother-in-law, who was a seamstress for a living, told me the trick to put the piece that wants to stretch on the bottom. It makes a HUGE difference.

Sometimes when I'm working on sewing my blocks together and I'm finding the seams not matching up, I'll sew part way through the seam and then stop and flip it to the other side. Works every time and you get a good match on the seams.
                          When life throws you scraps, make a quilt!

Comment

I've made one quilt where I tried super hard, ripping out seams and recutting, determined that the points would be perfect. I was so proud when all the seams lined up. I quilted it, handed it over as a gift and got the response "oooh that's lovely. I almost bought one of these in the sales the other day."!!!!

Since then I've been proud of the little wonks that make a quilt individual and prove that it was made with love.

I think your quilt top is lovely. Any mother would be ecstatic to receive such a generous gift x
                            Quilting through the dull times
                            northstarquilting.blogspot.com

Comment

What more can be said!! All the ladies here have given you the best advice. And the wonky bits....let's just say I have many of them on my quilts too. Gives them character......Your quilt is beautiful and I so love the colours!
                              Alana
                              To live a creative life we must lose our fear of being wrong.
                              alanashideaway.blogspot.com
                              https://www.facebook.com/quiltsbyAlana

Comment

Working...
                              X