backing on quilt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

backing on quilt

just had a small quilt hand quilted. They didn't get the back real tight. Now what do I do?? Leave it or rip it out. Only problem I have is that mom did it and it will probably be her last quilt (cuz of her age & health). She already cut off the extra fabric so I don't even have that to work with. Do I just deal with it ?

Re: backing on quilt

Have you washed it yet? That could help.

Comment

Leave it if your mom did it! It will be a treasure some day and you will be able to compare your skills to hers as you get older. It may just be that age deteriorate all things

Comment

It sure does deteriorate ME!

Comment

Please leave it! You will treasure it when she's gone!

Comment

Leave it as it is. Whenever you see it's 'imperfection' you will be reminded of the love your mom put into it.

Comment

Leave it and treasure it forever. Wish I had something of my mom. Everything perished in an arson fire along with my mom and brother who was 9 years old. Even if you think it isn't perfect it's a labor of love from your mom. If you want a quilt for use make another one for that purpose. If you are like most of us quilters I'm sure you have some material lurking around waiting to be used. Cherish the quilt you are lucky daughter. It was meant to be.

Comment

I have to agree with everyone else. Leave it as is.

Comment

Leave it in. When you bind it, it will help. But then, if you are concerned that the layers aren't stitched together adequately, take a few hand stitches across the quilt. You know, kind of like when we tie a quilt, except its just one to two stitches in each location instead of loose ends tied together. It will secure the quilt sandwich, can be done on top of or next to your mother's stitching line, and will blend into the look of the quilt. And that way you have the wonderful memory of your mother's quilting in front of you along with a reminder of how important it is for family to work together in love.

I have done this with old family quilts that are not quilted well or where the quilting thread is failing. It works well. I use a very fine cotton (like Aurifil 50wt) but the guild member who suggested this to me used silk thread (like YLI 100wt) when she worked on antique quilts.
                  Last edited by Julie A; June 4th, 2017, 09:02 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by shirleyknot View Post
                    It sure does deteriorate ME!
                    Me too, said as I sit here with a heat pad on my back!
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Hopehannah View Post
                      Please leave it! You will treasure it when she's gone!
                      My sentiments exactly.
                      sigpic:icon_hug: Iris Girl = April = fabric, Fabric FABRIC!!
                      Time spent with cats is never wasted.
                      Sigmund Freud

Comment

Working...
                      X