Flannel backing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Flannel backing

Hi. Wondering how many of you use flannel as a quilt backing and if so do you prewash first?

Re: Flannel backing

I use flannel quite frequently and I almost always prewash. The only time I haven't prewashed is when I purchased wide backing on the way to the long arm quilters. I've found that quilt shop quality fabric doesn't shrink as much as the lower priced flannel.
    Robin
    My Pinterest Page of the Quilts I've Made: http://www.pinterest.com/rwmomto3/quilts-ive-made/

Comment

I have only used it on quilts made of all flannel and, yes, I prewash the backing and all the flannel.

Comment

I never use flannel backing. I prefer to match the backing fabric to one of the fabrics used on the quilt top.

Comment

I use it quite often and always prewasher. It shrinks more than regular cotton

Comment

I've never used flannel for backing yet but I always prewash my flannel before using it in my quilts.

Comment

I use flannel for baking quite frequently and I am a pre washer of all fabrics cotton or flannel.
              sigpic:icon_hug: Iris Girl = April = fabric, Fabric FABRIC!!
              Time spent with cats is never wasted.
              Sigmund Freud

Comment

Flannel is great as a backing fabric. If I can, I prewash in hot water and dry in hot dryer.

If you don't have a serger to serge the edges, I recommend putting a simple hem along the raw edges. It can really fray a lot.

I have also found out that if I take the flannel out of the dryer before it stops and shake it out and lay it flat, I don't have to iron it! You have to be careful ironing flannel because it can really stretch.
                Vonnie

Comment

Originally posted by Iris Girl View Post
                  I use flannel for baking quite frequently and I am a pre washer of all fabrics cotton or flannel.
                  I like prewashing also but I don't prewash anything smaller than a fat quarter. Also don't prewash if I have a mixture of precuts and yardage since I want them all to shrink at the same rate.
                  Vonnie

Comment

I purchase used flannel sheets at places like Value Village. They are already pre-shrunk. If I use new flannel, then yes I will pre-wash and dry.
                    Blessed are the children of the piecemakers for they shall inherit the quilts!

Comment

I'm going to tag on to this question. So if you use precuts and cotton yardage on the top of the quilt (and don't prewash the precuts or yardage) would you wash the flannel? I've never mixed top and backing fabrics before but thought flannel might make a nice backing for a baby quilt I'm doing.

Comment

I almost always use flannel for backing since we love the soft feel but I have not mixed flannel with regular cotton fabric on the quilt top. I buy high-quality flannel, so it does not shrink much at all.

Sheep Farmer by day....sigpic....Quilter-in-Training by night
                        The Farmmyfarm

Comment

I always prewash flannel yardage. Have never used flannel sheets but I would wash those first also. I think flannel shrinks more than your cotton would and that's why I wash it first and put it in the dryer on hot.

Comment

Working...
                          X