Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Churn Dash tutorial question -- help!

Hi quilters!

A friend and I are making a churn dash quilt from Jenny's tutorial. There seems to be some confusion in the comments about whether or not the center square and the bar squares need to be trimmed to 4.5" square. As I understand it, if you don't trim them, once you have assembled the top, the bar sections will not be square (will end up 4" x 4.5"). I think that I can wrap my head around how that would work, but doesn't it look weird? Or is it supposed to look that way?

Have any of you actually done it either way? Help!!

Re: Churn Dash tutorial question -- help!

The center square is meant to be 5 inches. The bar blocks should be 5" x 4.5" while the HST in the corners are 4.5" squares. Assemble like a 9-patch matching the 5" edges with the center block. Hope this helps. Click image for larger version

Name:	Churn Dash Block.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	47.9 KB
ID:	1609367

Comment

Originally posted by esthere_2002 View Post
      The center square is meant to be 5 inches. The bar blocks should be 5" x 4.5" while the HST in the corners are 4.5" squares. Assemble like a 9-patch matching the 5" edges with the center block. Hope this helps. [ATTACH=CONFIG]141007[/ATTACH]
      What a great diagram! Thanks. I just did a test block this way, though, and it did not come out square...it was 12.5" x 13". I know that doesn't make sense...can't figure out what went wrong. I'll have to try again, I guess.

Has anyone tried it with squaring all the pieces up?

Comment

I squared all the pieces and it came out square. Good luck with yours!

Comment

Love the diagram. A quilted and computer whiz!

Comment

Working...
          X