Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Advise on batting for a very warm lap quilt-help please!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Advise on batting for a very warm lap quilt-help please!

I did 2 layers of poly batting once. Used a domestic machine. Made it quite puffy.
    I did spray baste, but not between the batting/batting layers, only the fabric/batting.
    Pictures on my blog: https://whatwerks.wordpress.com/2017...aring-9-patch/
    Pieced By Me! :icon_wave:

Pre-cut Yardage Chart

Comment

I love wool batting for a really warm quilt.
      Shelley

Comment

If I can quilt nearly a double/full sized quilt on my little Bernina Bernette 80e anything is possible. It takes a bit of planning for the bigger quilts, but you can do it.

As for cold feet, I bought a pair of Snoozies fleece slippers and they are very cozy. Once I wore the bottoms out, I took them apart, and made a pattern from the pieces. I replaced the bottoms with the best parts of hubby's worn out jeans and an extra layer of fleece for the bottoms.
        I then created a pair with an inner liner that I filled with flax seeds. I pop those in the microwave for 30-45 seconds and my toes are all warm. They aren't made for walking around as they are not washable, but they are great for cold nights or aching feet. I imagine I could freeze them as well and use them as cooling packs.
        Be who you are and say what you feel
        because those who mind don't matter,
        and those who matter don't mind. - Dr. Seuss

http://www.toggpine.wordpress.com

Comment

Originally posted by PrettyCurious View Post
          I did 2 layers of poly batting once. Used a domestic machine. Made it quite puffy.
          I did spray baste, but not between the batting/batting layers, only the fabric/batting.
          Very pretty! And cozy. Wonderful to see a quilt come together-I'm inspired. Thanks so much.

Off topic....my machine may be small but it does do embroidery as well which seems fun for personalizing quilt squares. I'll have to see where that takes me.

Comment

Thanks for that. I had hoped there were others here who quilted on home machines as well. And have those snoozie slippers that I plan to re-make as well!

Comment

Yes, patience. Great point. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by PrettyCurious View Post
                Very pretty! And cozy. Wonderful to see a quilt come together-I'm inspired. Thanks so much.

Off topic....my machine may be small but it does do embroidery as well which seems fun for personalizing quilt squares. I'll have to see where that takes me.

Comment

I wanted to quickly follow up on my quilt, in case anyone else is wondering about batting. The quilt is about 45x60 and I used the Warm and Plush cotton batting which is just perfect. I also added a light layer of Mountain Mist and used fleece backing. It is just perfect! warm enough for me yet not too warm for my 9 year old granddaughter (who is never cold). It's so cozy, she immediately stole it from me lol. I was worried it would be too stiff-it's not at all!

Comment

Quilter's Dream Select Polyester batting provides extra warmth. I used it in a stadium quilt and a bed quilt.
                    *~* Myrna *~*
                    *~* Quilters lead pieceful lives *~*

Comment

Working...
                    X