Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Advise on batting for a very warm lap quilt-help please!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Advise on batting for a very warm lap quilt-help please!

Hi quilters! I'm very new to sewing and even newer to quilting. I made one light quilt which is great as a summer throw. I know, that sounds silly but I've always been the coldest one in the room. Anyway, I want to make another quilt now. I have a simple pattern but I would like it to to be a warm winter quilt-lap quilt really, 46" x 60". I've read a lot and watched youtubes and blogs. And lurked here, reading many posts. But I haven't found the answer to my question.

I'd like to know what more experienced home quilters think about using two layers of batting for a very warm quilt. I want to finish the quilt as well so no long arm. I had a few ideas for batting-perhaps wool batting and also a layer of soft and warm or even the wool layer sandwiched between two layers of Mountain Mist which is very light. I've also seen various suggestions of a blanket sewed in which I would think is similar to wool batting (?)

I have a home sewing machine, suitable for some quilting, although I don't really know the limits of it yet. It's a Brother SE400 that I received Christmas before last-the beginning of my sewing hobby. So far, it's been quite the little work horse.

Any suggestions? Yes, I really do want a very warm lap quilt for snuggling on the sofa. I have the coldest feet and legs of anyone I know! Any and all suggestions welcome! Thanks.

Re: Advise on batting for a very warm lap quilt-help please!

I just looked at the specs on your machine: http://www.brother-usa.com/homesewin...roductID=SE400

I'm not sure your throat space is big enough to accommodate quilting even a small lap quilt with two plus layers of batting. Have your thought about making a rag quilt or a quilt as you go? You quilt small sections then put them together.

Rag quilt: https://www.google.com/#q=rag+quilt+instructions
    Quilt as you go: https://www.google.com/#q=quilt+as+y...ctions+youtube
    Vonnie

Comment

Thanks for the reply. I guess I'll re-think my quilting

Comment

Warm and Natural made a batting that was supposed to be warmer than their other batting. It was called Warm and Plush and was supposed to be 50% warmer than Warm and Natural. You can find it on Amazon.

Comment

Originally posted by Sherri6474 View Post
          Warm and Natural made a batting that was supposed to be warmer than their other batting. It was called Warm and Plush and was supposed to be 50% warmer than Warm and Natural. You can find it on Amazon.
          I made a quilt using warm & plush. Very happy with it. I use it in the fall when we need more warmth.
          Diana Grey

Comment

Thank you Sheri-I did find it on Amazon and ordered some!

Comment

Thank you so much Grey Lady. I think this will work for me.

Comment

Originally posted by Grey Lady View Post
                I made a quilt using warm & plush. Very happy with it. I use it in the fall when we need more warmth.
                Warm & Plush just a warning it is really warm but I am a hand quilter and it was the worst batting I have ever used for difficulty in quilting. It has a pretty high loft and made a nice puffy quilt but it is on my list of items to never buy again.

Comment

Originally posted by jjkaiser View Post
                  Warm & Plush just a warning it is really warm but I am a hand quilter and it was the worst batting I have ever used for difficulty in quilting. It has a pretty high loft and made a nice puffy quilt but it is on my list of items to never buy again.
                  I bought some also. Quilts up great on a long arm. It is thicker than some batting and I mean more dense so I can see how it would be a problem for hand quilters. It is also 100 percent cotton.
                  Vonnie

Comment

Wool batting + flannel backing should give you adequate warmth.
                    Make sure you pre-wash flannel. It shrinks a lot more compared to quilting cotton.
                    Preeti
                    http://sewpreetiquilts.blogspot.com/

Comment

Good thinking Preeti. I was thinking flannel backing too. Did I read somewhere that poly batting is warmer than the cottons? Not everyone likes them so I don't know if that is an option too. I made a very warm quilt for myself for the office (also use it on the bed on very cold nights) but I had used flannel front and back and then a poly batting. It does the trick for me and I use it a lot.
                      https://forum.missouriquiltco.com/co.../icon_wave.gif
                      Women are Angels. When someone break's our wings we will continue to fly-usually on a broomstick.We're flexible like that.

Comment

jj-thanks for that advice. I do want a really warm quilt so that's good news for me!

Comment

Thanks so much to everybody! I have a southwestern print fleece that I really want to use. As it happened, I saw it on Amazon and had to have it. I will try wool on a future project-maybe even a wool blanket at I've heard other people use.

Pre-washing is a good point. I don't think I need to pre-wash this one with fleece (?) Regular quilting cotton on top, Warm & Plush batting, fleece backing. I plan to start on the top tomorrow. I have some concerns about fleece batting since it's very stretchy but I will see how it goes.

Comment

No need to re-think. I used to quilt my quilts on my old Janome and it had no bigger of a throat space. I now quilt all my own quilts on my Bernina 440QE and frankly it's got a pretty small throat as well. I have recently finished up a double/queen quilt for my son and did it all on my home sewing machine.

You just have to be patient with it.
                            🍄 Heather🍄

Comment

I made a quilt for someone going thru chemo with batting inside and fleece as a backing. It is toasty warm for her.
                              “What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world, is and remains immortal.”

― Albert Pine

Comment

Working...
                              X