• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Essex Girl UK
    Prairie Pointer
    • Apr 2015

Which batting to use?

Hi everyone. I'm about to start a new quilt, It's using diamonds from the Tilda 'Pardon My Garden' range. I've cut out all the pieces and plan to make a start when I get back from from holiday. My question is, do I use my Hobbs 80/20 batting or my recent purchase of quilters dream 70/30. I must say, when I compare the two, the quilters dream appears more dense and stable in that it doesn't mis-shape as much when l sandwich it. It feels more like felt. I get my new simply sixteen machine next month and am planning to do an all over quilting design but I don't want it to look too flat if you know what mean. What would you recommend please. Thank you in advance for your comments.

Lesley
  • DeniseSm
    Missouri Star
    • Nov 2013

Re: Which batting to use?

This tutorial from Rob will explain the different effects between using 80/20 and 70/30 batting

Click here to get supplies: http://bit.ly/battingbootcampRob explains and demonstrates quilting with nine types of batting:1- Cotton Select mid-loft batting....
    Stash Treasure Acquisitions Beyond Life Expectancy. My stash keeps me STABLE, oh yeah.... and dark chocolate.

Comment

• JCY
      Missouri Star
      • Jul 2013

Thanks for the link to Rob's tutorial. I hadn't seen that one. I use Hobbs 80/20 for all my quilting. One time I bought Quilter's Dream 70/30 crib size on sale. It quilted very nicely. I think the LA quilter at Tamarack Shack uses Quilter's Dream a lot. The one time I used an all cotton batting, I didn't like it. I thought it was too flat. I've never bought any since that one time. I think either the 80/20 or the 70/30 will give adequate poof to your quilting.

Comment

• CraftyJnet
        Missouri Star
        • Jun 2015

Thank you for the link. That was very interesting.

Jeannette

Comment

• Essex Girl UK
          Prairie Pointer
          • Apr 2015

Thank you all for your advice. It seems there's not a lot in it, so I'll give the quilter's dream a go and see how I get on.

Comment

Working...
          X