Pieced with polyester thread! Problem?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pieced with polyester thread! Problem?

Well, somehow I grabbed a spool of polyester thread - same brand I usually buy, just not cotton. I am not sure if it was in the wrong place on the rack or what. And I just managed to piece DD1's ENTIRE jelly roll race top with it. I was struggling with tension and the bobbin thread getting snarled up. Only after I re-threaded everything twice and was still having trouble did I notice.
    Am I overthinking this? Should I carry on, quilt it and cross my fingers? Or did I really mess up?
    (I have already tossed the spool and stripped the two bobbins I had loaded. And checked the rest of my thread to make sure there was no more lurking.) Ugh!

Re: Pieced with polyester thread! Problem?

I piece my quilts with polyester thread. I had to hand quilt large areas of a forty year old bed quilt that had been sewn with cotton thread. Over time it had rotten away.

Comment

I mix threads all the time. If I need a specific color and don't have it in cotton, I use poly.

Comment

Unless you are planning on putting the quilt in the microwave, you should be perfectly fine.
        K is for Karen 😊​ Albuquerque, NM..................
        Cremation - My last hope for a smokin' hot body.

Before you speak,
        T - is it TRUE?
        H - is it HELPFUL?
        I - is it INSPIRING?
        N - is it NECESSARY?
        K - is it KIND?

Comment

I piece with poly all the time ... never had problems or heard any complaints.

Comment

I've used both. I prefer Aurifil cotton and use 1.7 mm stitches. When I use poly, I takes larger stitches (2.0 to 2.2) so I don't worry about possibly slicing a seam over time. But several 'experts' in fibers point out that today's polyester thread is a lot better (smoother strands or something) than that of 20-30 years ago and that it won't slice thru cottons like before. I think you are fine unless you plean to microwave or superheat it.

Comment

I can't imagine that it is going to make any difference. Just sew happy.
              success is walking from failure to failure with no loss of enthusiam
              Terry of NC

Comment

I also piece with both. The poly seems to have less lint.
                Teresa
                Pelham, Alabama
                War Eagle!!!

Comment

Well that makes me feel better! So what is with my aunt and her friend who swore I was going to have nothing but trouble and that I had made a huge mistake me that you NEVER EVER piece with polyester? They had me worried!
                  And no plans to microwave the quilt, fortunately! But my machine definitely did not like it, so I won't be using it again, simply for that reason. Thanks!!

Comment

Another one for piecing with poly, cotton poly or whatever I have in the color I need. Some is 100% cotton, some cotton covered poly, some poly covered poly. Never had an issue. Don't make show quilts only quilts to be loved as well as bags, wallets clothing and a bunch of other things. No issues in 50 years.
                    sigpic:icon_hug: Iris Girl = April = fabric, Fabric FABRIC!!
                    Time spent with cats is never wasted.
                    Sigmund Freud

Comment

Not to worry....everything will be fine, just fine.
                      sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

I piece with both. I haven't found any problems. I agree that poly has much less lint.
                        A day patched with quilting Seldom unravels Sharon

Comment

Maybe your aunt had issues back in the day with poly? Here is a video discussing this issue...
                          https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZVzflcfEuSY (this is pt. 1 of 2)
                          songbird857
                          Last edited by songbird857; January 25, 2017, 07:54 AM.

Comment

I use poly thread for piecing and quilting all the time (I also use cotton for both).

Honestly -- it depends on the color I need at the time; if I need grey and I only have poly, I use it.

I will say that I do believe BRAND makes a difference (both in regards to quality as well as what your machine "likes"). Most of my thread is Superior Thread and Connecting Threads; I have some Aurifil.

I heard on this forum last year that some people love piecing with Connecting Threads thread, but when they FMQ with it, it tends to break a lot. Not sure if they were using cotton or poly.

Leah Day prefers poly thread; I think Isacord specifically.

I would make a bowl of popcorn or your favorite snack and get on Youtube and watch Dr. Bob's Threadology series (from Superior Threads). You can find a link in my Profile's User Notes (just click on my forum name at the left of this post to get to my profile, then click "User Notes" and scroll down to find the link in one of the posts there). It is well worth the time and quite informative!
                            Blessings, DramaMama

"May your bobbin always be full!"

Massdrop Refer-A-Friend link: :icon_woohoo:
                            http://link.massdrop.com/54bd7c22291...of0ePjsfeAaf4b

Comment

Originally posted by TXgirlinUK View Post
                              So what is with my aunt and her friend who swore I was going to have nothing but trouble
                              Some people are 'purists' - Like the stitchers who won't use Aida cloth or the knitters that shun acrylics.

I think we should craft with whatever materials are both appropriate, available, and within our personal budgets. Fiber crafts by their very nature are perishable. Now that doesn't mean to not be aware of our materials and how they will interact and doesn't mean that we shouldn't use the best we can afford and/or have access to; just don't stress about it.

Comment

Working...
                              X