Essex Linen by Robert Kaufman:

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Essex Linen by Robert Kaufman:

Does anyone have any experience with Essex Linens, plain, dyed , metallic or otherwise? I just read a blog that recommended washing and drying it before using because they said it shrinks. Also, they think it frays and should be sewn with a double seam. I love the look but I really don't need a nightmare. Thanks.

Re: Essex Linen by Robert Kaufman:

I used Essex linen as the background in my Fancy Forest quilt. The pattern designer, Elizabeth Hartman, recommended it. E. Hartman did a youtube interview on the fabric, saying she doesn't prewash, and believes it shrinks no more than any other cotton.

For me, it sewed up nicely, no more fraying than usual. I used a standard quarter inch seam. I love the look. I have not washed it yet, as it is hanging up in my living room. I could not be happier with it.
    Diana Grey

Comment

I used it in a baby quilt I haven't quilted yet. It is definitely thicker than ordinary quilting cotton and I had to take extra time pressing.
      sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

I love it. Used it to make a bag.
        Karen
        Life is short - Live everyday to the fullest

Comment

I would be interested in how it goes....Thank you.

Comment

I am ready to start the Fancy Forest quilt and I have the linen purchased. I am so glad to hear that sewing was good and Elizabeth Hartman didn't prewash. I will look for her on Utube, Thank you so much.

Comment

Here's the video of Elizabeth Hartman on FF and essex linen.

https://youtu.be/Jx_0NqFPZrw
              Diana Grey

Comment

Unless things have changed drastically, LINEN is an entirely different fiber than COTTON.

Comment

I haven't had problems with it, and I love the look. Yes, it frays, but not so much that it needs special treatment.

Comment

Essex linen is a 65/35 linen/cotton blend. I've used it for a light jacket and did prewash it for that application because that is what I do when constructing garments. I measured a before/after piece and the shrinkage was negligible. Right now I am using it for a wall hanging, so I didn't prewash since I don't anticipate washing the item. I haven't had a fraying issue on either project. In fact, I've used cottons that have frayed horribly, and comparatively, this doesn't. I haven't used the metallic Essex, though, so can't comment on that.

Comment

I just ordered some metallic - I'll let you know how it goes. I'm planning on using it for a bag, so I won't be pre-washing it.
                      Cindy

Comment

Working...
                      X