• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What size Hoop????

I am getting ready to hand quilt a king size

What size hoop do you recommend?

Re: What size Hoop????

I have 2 of the pvc type square hoops. One is 14 or 15" and the other is about 20" The smaller one is easier to handle, but when something has bigger blocks I will use the larger one so I can get a whole block in the frame at once.
    K is for Karen 😊​ Albuquerque, NM..................
    Cremation - My last hope for a smokin' hot body.

Before you speak,
    T - is it TRUE?
    H - is it HELPFUL?
    I - is it INSPIRING?
    N - is it NECESSARY?
    K - is it KIND?

Comment

I've used an 18" hoop for many years. I also have a half-hoop for the edges.

Comment

I teach Hawaiian quilting and recommend a 14" round wooden hoop, buy a good one ($25-$45) not a cheap one for $10. I like this size because it will fit in the crook of your arm and you are able to reach across it to quilt opposite of you. You will be turning the quilt around and around as you go. Always start in your center and work out in concentric rings till you reach the outside edge of quilt. Once you put your hoop on, smooth out any wrinkles, tighten up the nut, turn over and check for any pleats around the edge, turn back to front side tighten again, then put your fist underneath and punch up on fabric until it gets loose enough to be able to get nice and even stitches. I did have a 19" x 27" hoop that I used on borders but soon got rid of it.

Here is a great tip: Baste your quilt with a double long thread of the same thread you will be quilting with. As you are working on the quilt you will clip the basting knot to get that thread out of the way. Just clip the knot and pull basting thread away from where you are working. Keep pulling these threads out of the way until they are long enough to quilt with. Then just clip one of the strands, thread your needle and keep on quilting. You have a built in supply of quilting thread that was used for basting right there in the quilt. Why waste some other thread to baste with, USE YOUR QUILTING THREAD TO BASTE. yeah!!!

Comment

I have a 12" and let me tell you a story about it. I actually bought it from a third party who wanted a floor stand hoop instead. The third party one I bought was a 14" and I thought great, I won't have to rehoop and move the quilt around as much with those extra two inches. But after trying out out I was getting so much shoulder pain that I emailed Harry Barnett about it, as it was a HB frame, legendary for good quality hand quilting hoops. I also told Harry that I am short, so maybe that made a difference, maybe my arms are too?! Well Harry was puzzled as he could not find my original order in his computer. Busted!! When I told him I had actually bought it from someone else who ordered it from him, and gave him her name, he said it was rather unusual to trade a hoop in like that but if it was like new he would exchange it. He said the shoulder pain was from reaching too far (over reaching he called it) across the hoop. There are instructions on his website that tell you what measurements to take (I think from the elbow to wrist) to get the proper size hoop to fit your body, and it was no joke. He made me a new one and the difference was just amazing. He was totally correct about the sizing thing, so do not run out and buy the largest hoop you can!!! So Harry is one great guy, I can't say enough good about his products. They are $$ but will last and last, very high quality. He knows everything about hoops and he has some videos on his website. I have the lap hoop with the bean bag and it is wonderful. He has several different kinds. Good luck and I hope you are able to find something you are happy with.
          jjkaiser
          Last edited by jjkaiser; January 24, 2017, 05:49 PM.

Comment

I used a 14-15" hoop.

Comment

Working...
            X