Applique Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Applique Questions

I haven't done any real applique yet. I was certain, however that I needed a machine that does a blanket stitch, because I have 14 machines for a reason - I have very little intrest in hand sewing. So, I found, and purchased what I call a little cousin to my big ol Viking - an Emerald 183 which has a small thoat, but does all kinds of fancy stuff. It's basically a toy to me, being made of sew much plastic and all, but so far I'm impressed.

Viking_Emerald_183.jpg

First attempt

Emmy_Sample.jpg

So, my question is when machine stitching applique, Do you sew on the applique piece, with the blanket stitch on the backing like I did in my first attempt?
    After I did my first piece which will be used as a pressor foot rest when not using the machine, I have seen it done with the stitching next to the applique piece and the blanket stitching on the applique piece.
    I realise that if I zigzag, this would not even be a question, but I like the look of the blanket stitch applique.

Also, since I have discovered that me and the paper backing from any brand of 2 sided sticky stuff [heat and bond or simular], do not get along, I'm wondering if it's that important. [those bags on a roll in the meat department to keep your meat from leaking all over the rest of your groceries do not get along, either] The sample piece shown aboved used no sticky stuff. I just laid it on there, and sewed.

Do you use sticky stuff if you hand turn [no raw edges]?
    Do you use sticky stuff if you don't [raw edges]?

I did use sticky stuff to applique some dresden fan pieces in the corners on a quilt backing for an experiment, and do not like how stiff those areas are. I can't imagine doing an entire quilt with this stuff. plus the paper backing took forever to tear off!

What is that sticky stuff really for? To keep it in place while sewing, or to keep the raw edges from fraying?
    How bad will the fabric fray without the sticking stuff?
    Possible fraying of raw edges without the sticky stuff, is kinda why I thought it might be best to sew on the applique piece, rather than next to it.

I have also considered the possibility of using the one sided iron on stuff, sewing it to the piece, cutting into the center to turn it out and then ironing that one before stitching [as in Jenny's orange peel tutorial], but that won't work with more intricate shapes.

Thanks for your time!
    Last edited by PrettyCurious; January 20, 2017, 08:35 AM.
    Pieced By Me! :icon_wave:

Pre-cut Yardage Chart

Re: Applique Questions

My "dirty little secret" about machine applique is to use a dab (just one, in the center of the shape) from a good ole school gluestick; then machine blanket stitch around the edge.

p.s. My machine is a 20-year-old Husqvarna Viking Lily - and I love her!

Comment

Good to know * wink wink* I like simple
      but do you sew the stright stitches on the applique piece [like I did above], with the sideways stitches on the backing, or on the backing with the sideways stitches on the applique piece?

Pre-cut Yardage Chart

Comment

If you use sticky stuff as in fusible web, use the lightest either Heat and Bond Lite or Steam a Seam 2. You can stitch through those two and not have problems.

You could also use a lapel stick to stick the appliqué down. And if your backing is thin, use a stabilizer under the appliqué to keep it from puckering.

Comment

If you like to do your blanket stitch with the straight stitch on the applique, and the sideways stitches on the background fabric go right ahead. It will work just fine and cause no problems. I also see an advantage in you can match your thread color to the applique if you don't want it to show up. Is your sewing machine blanket stitch set up to take the sideways stitch facing left or right? The default on most sewing machine is you run the edge of the foot along the edge of the piece and it takes the sideways bite left, which is into the piece. When the edge of the foot reaches the edge of the piece, it it time to turn and sew in a different direction.I usually see it done with the straight stitch on the background and the sideways stitches into the applique. This gives the applique a little more flexibility and more definition to the edge.

You need a stabilizer if you are doing a satin stitch. You don't usually need it for a blanket stitch.

An other alternative to sticky stuff to temporarily hold your piece in place until you can blanket stitch is Elmer's washable school glue. A tiny dab of glue, set with an iron to get it to dry, and you are ready to go.
          Stash Treasure Acquisitions Beyond Life Expectancy. My stash keeps me STABLE, oh yeah.... and dark chocolate.

Comment

Originally posted by PrettyCurious View Post
            Good to know * wink wink* I like simple
            but do you sew the stright stitches on the applique piece [like I did above], with the sideways stitches on the backing, or on the backing with the sideways stitches on the applique piece?
            Your stitches should look like this: applique stitch.jpg (but there are no quilt police to tell you sew)
            Blessed are the children of the piecemakers for they shall inherit the quilts!

Comment

Thanks!
              Now the obsessive techinical part of my brain thinks the applique will fray more if I sew on the background and only bite into the raw fabric as shown in Monique's post. I don't know why I think that, but I do.

I'm gonna have to do a little experiment, aren't I?

Pre-cut Yardage Chart

Comment

Turns out I don't have to experiment. Someone else already did.
                http://theboredzombie.com/2014/02/bu...e-testing.html

Pre-cut Yardage Chart

Comment

Working...
                X