Sensory Quilt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sensory Quilt

I am just starting a sensory quilt (weighted quilt) as a gift for a family member. Have any of you made one? What materials did you use, did you use batting or just the two layers of fabric with the beads? I've seen some that look really puffy like there's stuffing or something. Would you be willing to share a picture of the one you made?

Really appreciate any and all input! I watched Rob's tutorial on this and it was pretty simple, I just wonder....is there more?

Thank you!!!
    sigpic~~Libby~~

Quilters make great comforters.

Friendship is sewn with love and measured by kindness.

Re: Sensory Quilt

Here is a post about it and what other have done http://forum.missouriquiltco.com/showthread.php?t=67445

Comment

My friend makes the and it seems there is batting in there.....I would think you could use something else though that was cheaper.
      pat.

No rain....no rainbows!

sigpic

If you can't be nice.....BE QUIET!

Comment

Originally posted by Simply Quilting View Post
        Here is a post about it and what other have done http://forum.missouriquiltco.com/showthread.php?t=67445
        Thank you for this! I'm still not sure about whether or not to use batting. Or stuffing. I'm backing it with flannel and the front is cotton, Mom was concerned that it would be too warm. Maybe I should just stick with cotton front and back. ARGHH! This one's important, I want to get it right.
        sigpic~~Libby~~

Comment

I made one with Fleece front and back (Sort of Robs method) and one like a 'rag' quilt with flannel squares. The flannel one fell apart the 1st time it was washed, The fleece one is still strong 2 years later. I do like the idea of adding a little batting into each 'pocket'. Another idea I had, (but haven't tried yet) was to make pellet pouches, then just drop one in each 'tube' as you are putting it all together. The stray pellets can be a pain to work with on a big quilt. I hope that make sense. I'm looking for the pictures, I'll post if I can find them.

Comment

I've never made one, but I would go with Mom's intuition. Flannel and batting may be great in the winter months here, but for a sensory quilt the recipient will probably want to use it year round, so keeping it a cooler quilt may be the way to go. They can always add another blanket/quilt to the bed for warmth if the temps drop.

I do like Bernamom's idea of the pouches for the pellets, just in case there is a seam malfunction later. I can only image the fun of cleaning out all those pellets from the washing machine or lint trap of the dryer.

Comment

Originally posted by Caroline T. View Post
              I've never made one, but I would go with Mom's intuition. Flannel and batting may be great in the winter months here, but for a sensory quilt the recipient will probably want to use it year round, so keeping it a cooler quilt may be the way to go. They can always add another blanket/quilt to the bed for warmth if the temps drop.

I do like Bernamom's idea of the pouches for the pellets, just in case there is a seam malfunction later. I can only image the fun of cleaning out all those pellets from the washing machine or lint trap of the dryer.
              Definitely not fun! Luckily I washed it before giving it away, so I could fix it.!

Comment

Now that I think about it, my friend who makes these uses fleece or minky on the back of hers.
                pat.

No rain....no rainbows!

sigpic

If you can't be nice.....BE QUIET!

Comment

I made one for my grandson. I used one piece of flannel for one side and fleece on the other. Then I sewed tubes - inserted beads and a little batting with each square that I sewed across as Rob did. Worked great. Of course, we live in MN so it is colder here.

Comment

I sort of use Robs method..started doing these like 5 yrs ago..so he stole my method..lol Anyway, I make them like a quilt..makes them more special I think. So any square you can see your columns for will work. For children I do like robs..but..to rotect all those rows of seams and add more protection for the pellets I will either had a piece of fusable fleece or batting. This way if a seam comes open the pellets are still protected. I use fleece or flannel on the back or cuddle..Just be sure to place your backing about 3 to 4 inches taller than quilt . makes for finishing easier.
                    I either then sew them up like rob does..a pillowcase style if smaller ro finish like a regular quilt.sew stitch in ditch all verticle columns..sew all around your edges..I usually put a border for larger quilts and sew up those seams as well and do decorative on the borders. Then I fill and add my binding as usual. (this is usually done on larger ones) Just easier to manipulate all the quilt when filled with pellets. I also use a gift wrap tube to fill the colums and shake..shake ..shake really hard to be sure pellets are all in the square..took lots of broken needles to get that part right! Good luck and feel free to message me if you have any questions.camden quilt2.jpg

Comment

Thank you thank you thank you! Every bit of advice is taken and appreciated! You guys are AWESOME! I'll post pics when I'm done before I send it off to Boston!
                      sigpic~~Libby~~

Comment

Working...
                      X