hand quilting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

hand quilting

Since I have always wanted a quilt, I figured I would make myself one. I also have decided I would machine piece one and hand quilt it. Why? well, because I am no good at FMQ. But, I want to be able to do designs on the quilt and make it more homey , more traditional. I know more traditional would mean doing the whole quilt by hand, however, I like using the machine for piecing.

I am new to quilting. I have done a couple smaller projects but nothing serious. I am not going for stitches per inch ( although that would be nice), I am looking for consistency. I get my top stitches looking pretty good and look at the bottom and see how tiny they are and sometimes didn't catch the fabric. So, I have been working on that. I am going to be doing a lot of practicing before I hand quilt the "patch" quilt I am making ( just 5 1/2" blocks sewn together to make a baby quilt).

I do have aunt becky and a nice lap hoop. thanks to my wonderful husband. I was reading somewhere that is takes about 20 hours of practice to get a rhythm and consistency when hand quilting. I am willing to put in the time as I really want to learn to hand quilt. Have any of you hand quilters heard of that? As a guesstimate how many hours would you say you practiced before starting your first hand quilted quilt? Just thought it would be a fun question and to let you know a bit about this newbie.

Re: hand quilting

I have no clue how many hours but I just dove right in because I can't machine quilt (a big quilt) either. Small projects I can machine quilt. I think it took a little while to get the rocking method down pat.

Welcome from Canada.
    Blessed are the children of the piecemakers for they shall inherit the quilts!

Comment

Been hand quilting since the 70's and I still can't get that "rocking motion" everyone preaches. Know what? I don't care. I do wquite well one stitch at a time and even have a few ribbons to prove it.

Comment

Hi and welcome to the forum.

Here is a link to hand quilting that I like. She uses perle cotton & shows big stitch quilting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8DXN5Ger_jo

Hope this is helpful.
        "I'm putting together a list of 100 reasons why I am NOT relentless!" - Sue Heck, The Middle

Leonard: For God's sake, Sheldon, do I have to hold up a sarcasm sign every time I open my mouth?
        Sheldon (intrigued): You have a sarcasm sign?

Comment

I would so like to see a hand quilting tutorial that shows the BACK of the quilt! I had the same issues than newtoquilt every time I tried: too little stitches on the back, barely catching a few threads.

Comment

I think it takes a little practice, but I found that my hand quilting greatly improved when my grandmother told me that I had stretched the quilt too tightly in the frame. So now that I use a hoop, I put the quilt in across the base of the hoop, push the top hoop into place, gently tighten the quilt tight, check the back with my hand to feel for puckers. If no puckers, then I slightly loosen the hoop, put my hand in the middle of the circle and gently push down a bit, then retighten the hoop. It gives me enough play to be able to rock the needle and catch the back each stitch. Hope that helps.

Comment

I don't remember how many hours I practiced before I thought I was ready, I just kind of practices right on the quilt. You got some great advice in that your quilt must be LOOSE in the hoop. That is a biggie. Also get a comfortable thimble. And there's so many needles on the market now, I would suggest trying to go with the smallest one you can manage if you think your stitches are too big. I like Roxanne's #11 betweens but they are extremely small and short--#9 between are a bit longer so may be easier for you to use. I never used an Aunt Becky' s but do wear a thimble on the left (underneath) hand. Learn to use that left hand to push up on the needle and create a fold or little hill, don't only concentrate on the hand holding the needle. If you get into the habit of keeping your quilt loose in the hoop, and knowing the purpose of each hand, it will become second nature very quickly and you will do it without thinking. Good luck, and I am sure your quilt will be wonderful. Don't stress yourself out, learn to enjoy the process!

Comment

hunterstarback.jpg Like everything else I Do in life, I just dove right in and started. Thru the years I've gotten better at it but the last one I did, I felt like my hands are all thumbs so I dove right in and started trying FMQ. The picture shows the back of the quilt I finished last year. Like I said, perfection isn't my goal, its the wonderful process and the joy of knowing I made it.
                Walk in peace with the Lord by your side.
                Terry

Comment

hunterstarback.jpg Like everything else I Do in life, I just dove right in and started. Thru the years I've gotten better at it but the last one I did, I felt like my hands are all thumbs so I dove right in and started trying FMQ. The picture shows the back of the quilt I finished last year. Like I said, perfection isn't my goal, its the wonderful process and the joy of knowing I made it. A good thimble is a must. Maybe 2 or three. I use them on both hands
                  Walk in peace with the Lord by your side.
                  Terry

Comment

I had no idea what I was doing so many years ago when I first started quilting. No one machined quilted way back when. So being clueless I just started. I started in the middle and worked my way to the end. Rotated the quilt and started at the middle again. WOW, what a difference. The quilting was so much better and even. Looked funny, but what to do? A single guy that worked with my husband wanted to "decorate" bought it. It paid for my learning. He didn't care what it looked like. All these years later I'm not sad to lose my first baby. Cause I made another just like it - but the quilting was even. Not sure how long before I "got" it. I'm thinking before I reached that first end. Just go ahead when you feel better about it. Since you practiced, your difference, if you have one, won't be so noticeable. Good luck!
                    💫 Star lover

Comment

Thank you all for the super responses. From my short practices i did learn loose in the hoop helps a great deal. I figure if i spkit up my quilting time ( 1/2 on working on my top and 1/2 on hand quilting on some odd scraps) i should be ready to hand quilt on my small quilt by the time the top is done. I know it will take practice, but i also know i will be happier with the results when i get good. Not shooting for perfection. Not planning on winning any ribbons. Just want to do it. I am looking forward to seeing 2 quilts hand quilted and seeing the progress. Now that is exciting.

Comment

Working...
                      X