New to this

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New to this

I am new to quilting, but not to sewing. I have watched many tutorials by Jenny, and have actually completed a small quilt.......but I have a question........before the final stage, the quilt is puffy and soft, then it seems that all that stitching 'flattens' it. I understand the 'art of quilting' but wouldn't the quilt be better left puffy?

Re: New to this

MargaretP...it is personal preference on how much quilting is done in a quilt. It determines how intricate you want the quilt to be. The more stitching, the more stiff and heavy the quilt becomes. It takes practice to determine your skill level and how you want the quilt to look and feel!

Welcome to the forum, sweetie!
    Sherri

"Don't let someone else's ugly spoil your beautiful. " Thanks, Bubby!!!!!!

Comment

It will puff up a little and soften after washing. If the quilting is close it will make the work flatter; spacier quilting will make it less flat. It depends on your preference.

Welcome to the forum!

Comment

Welcome to the forum from Missouri.

Some quilters prefer thin quilts so we usually use thin cotton batting.....others like puffy quilts and they use polyester batting and leave a little more space between the actual quilting. Each quilt batting that you buy will tell you on the package what the maximum amount of space between quilting can be. It's a wonderful adventure......
        sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

Welcome to the forum
          It really is allllll about preference! When I first started quilting, I only used 100% cotton batting because I do like thin quilts, now I'm venturing into blends because of the 'poof' factor - so many quilting ideas - so little time
          For wall hanging quilts, I love the look of more quilting - like a piece of art. For baby quilts, less quilting, so it stays snuggly. It's all up to you!

Comment

Thank you for asking this question. I too am a new quilter. I have noticed in the few quilting projects I have dabbled with that the closer the quilting the stiffer/ firmer the quilt. Not sure I like that. The dogs however don't care. I did a baby quilt spaced 4 inches which is what the max distance for the cotton batting I use said. ( for my first one I didn't go expensive on the batting as I was keeping it as my first project) and it is very thin but soft. The cat and I fight over it every evening.

Thank you for asking a question that I should of asked , but just learned on my own. Thank you to all who have replied as your responses have been a great help to me as well.

Comment

Welcome, newbies! One of the things I like best about this Forum is to just browse through all the pages and read what others are saying and asking. I personally tend to stitch *more-or-less* in the ditch (I have a habit of straying out of it ) or do echo quilting, as I like to emphasize the pattern of the pieced top. As you get more comfortable, you'll probably change your opinions (or become more settled in them) on what you like.

If you're looking for a cozy feel to your quilts, try backing them with fleece, Minky, or flannel. Of the three, I find the flannel easiest to work with because it's less stretchy. However, it's not always easy to find really good quality (i.e. thick enough) flannel. Experiment with small pieces of different kinds of fabric & batting so you can decide what you want to commit to; and don't forget to share photos of your work with us on the Show and Tell page!

Comment

Welcome to the boards, Newbies ask the most basic, interesting questions. Sometimes even asking something that seems basic will benefit others. In reading the answers you can come up with great ideas for yourself, so keep asking questions, we love them.

Comment

Welcome to the forum!
                  Rescued is my favorite breed.

Comment

Working...
                  X