Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help with choosing thread and quilt design

newe.jpg

I just finished this Jinny Beyer Quilt, and am trying to decide on thread and quilt pattern. I will have it longarmed, since I don't do much machine quilting. I am thinking of using a darker antique gold thread color. It would match the paisely gold, and would show on the plain fabrics. It would NOT show much on the gold paisely fabric. And that is okay, since there is enough action in the paisely by itself. The bigger question for me is what design to choose. Since it reminds me of a rich tapestry, I’m thinking smething more classical. How would a paisely quilt design work on this?

Or, if you have any other suggestions? I have done some simple quilting with my home sewing machine, but mostly simple echo and stitch in the ditch type of stuff. I’m rather new to quilting. Only done this for one year now. I’m awful at decisions.

65 year old guy, learning a new Art form.

Re: Help with choosing thread and quilt design

That is one gorgeous quilt! It could come live on my bed anytime I agree with the dark gold thread and either a paisley or swirl pattern. How big is it?
    sigpic

Comment

That's beautiful! If that were mine, I'd custom quilt each section & border of the quilt, rather than doing an all-over design. You might check Angela Walters' blog to get some ideas for quilting. Custom quilting will cost more than edge-to-edge.

Comment

Your quilt is beautiful! I agree that a dark gold thread would be nice...and a paisley quilting design would be pretty. But I'm biased, I love anything paisley.
        *~* Myrna *~*
        *~* Quilters lead pieceful lives *~*

Comment

That is some truly beautiful precision piecing. Your points and mitered corners look flawless. Such a work of art deserves custom quilting, not an edge to edge pattern. Each long arm quilter has their own unique style and specialty. I would discuss what quilting motifs and thread colors directly with the long arm quilter.
          Stash Treasure Acquisitions Beyond Life Expectancy. My stash keeps me STABLE, oh yeah.... and dark chocolate.

Comment

I have no answer, just wanted to say WOW!! I love it.

Comment

THAT is extremely cool and beautiful.
              ... I would make sure that the quilter is verrrry experienced, and will work with you on what you want. Look on pinterest for some ideas to get you started

Comment

Gorgeous piecing! I think I would look at a custom quilting rather than an edge to edge. Beautiful work.
                Cindy

Comment

Thanks everyone for your input. It helps a lot in my decision making. But the way, it is 54" x 54".
                  Dan
                  Last edited by bbbdco; January 19, 2017, 12:15 PM.

Comment

Working...
                  X