X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Devchdm
    replied
    Re: Cat Quilt Challenge

Last year, my daughter found it online and asked me to make it. I bought the pattern last year and now, as I look for it online, I can't find it anywhere (to buy). If you can't find it either, and want it - I am ok making copy and sending it. I even tried to find the author online but no luck. Not sure what the rules are here, on this.

Originally posted by Iris Girl View Post
    Adorable quilt. Where did you find the pattern?
    I agree with Barb if its only a wall hanging no need to stitch. But for me I would also stitch down just because future never know.

Leave a comment:

• Iris Girl
    replied

Originally posted by Hulamoon View Post
    I'm going to disagree on a walking foot for applique. It doesn't turn sharp corners. I would recommend a clear open toe foot so you can see ahead of you.
    I agree I use a 9mm wide clear open toe foot when I do applique

Leave a comment:

• Hulamoon
    replied

I'm going to disagree on a walking foot for applique. It doesn't turn sharp corners. I would recommend a clear open toe foot so you can see ahead of you.

Leave a comment:

• Caroline T.
    replied

Since this is a wall hanging, and the pieces so small, I would leave the stitching for the quilting phase, once or twice around the eyes and noses and you're good to go.

Leave a comment:

• midnightline
    replied

Using a walking foot makes it a little easier to steer when doing applique edging.

Leave a comment:

• Hulamoon
    replied

How about skipping the zig-zag and just use a straight line. I see plenty of raw edge appliques done like that.

https://www.pinterest.com/search/pin...edge&term_meta[]=raw%7Cautocomplete%7C&term_meta[]=edge%7Cautocomplete%7C&term_meta[]=applique%7Cautocomplete%7C

Leave a comment:

• Iris Girl
    replied

Adorable quilt. Where did you find the pattern?
    I agree with Barb if its only a wall hanging no need to stitch. But for me I would also stitch down just because future never know.

Leave a comment:

• Bubby
    replied

If your quilt, which is so cute, will be used only as a wall hanging and won't actually be used and washed regularly, there is no real need to stitch the fused pieces. I would stitch mine anyway, not knowing the future of the quilt and how someone else might use it.

Leave a comment:

• Devchdm
    started a topic Cat Quilt Challenge

Cat Quilt Challenge

Finished piecing this cat quilt ( http://quiltinspiration.blogspot.com...-and-bees.html )
    and am now on to the applique eyes and noses.

I applied the applique pieces with Steam-a-Seam2 and now I figure I need to sew around the outline, before creating the quilt sandwich.

I planned to use the monopoly thread to sew them, using a zigzag stitch. and started sewing.
    This is hard!
    Have to re-position (lift presser foot and re-position fabric), like every 2 stitches due to small size of these pieces, and their circular shape.
    There are 9 cats so 18 eyes, 9 noses and 2 mice.

Hand sewing would, I think, be worse for me.

It is more of a wall hanging than a quilt so am now sheepishly wondering if I have to sew all the noses and ears down.
    Am at the superglue phase! :-)

1. Has anyone NOT sewn down appliques after Steam-A-Seam2 and if so what was result?
    2. Is there easier method to machine sew them? Some magical technique that simplifies this a bit.

thanks,
    Donna
Working...
X