Lap throw size?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lap throw size?

I am making a quilt for a friend who has been ill. She is not bedridden, but she is on the couch a lot right now. I am making her a throw and with the design I am using, the finished throw will be approximately 50 x 62. Is this big enough? I do not want to alter the pattern and I do not want to add a bunch of borders. Hmmph...I'm stubborn.

Re: Lap throw size?

For a quilt that is meant to throw over the lap, this is an excellent size.
    Courage is being scared to death, and saddling up anyway. ~John Wayne

Quilting is my passion . . . chocolate is a close second!

Comment

Hmm.. I guess that would depend on the stature of your friend! If she is a bigger/taller person, you may want to add to it. If she is petite, it should be fine. I tend to make throw size at 60" X 60".

Comment

Look at it this way, the length is 62", that translates to 5'2". I doubt your friend will cover her head with the quilt (but maybe...). The width is 50". My torso at 135 lbs with arms loosely hanging down, measures 20" to the outside of my arms, leaving 15" to drape each side. Hope that helps.

Comment

That is a good size to have on the couch
          Walk in peace with the Lord by your side.
          Terry

Comment

Just made my hubby's throw 60 x 75 it is a nice size cuddle throw . He is 5'9" about 190 pounds hope this helps
            sigpic:icon_hug: Iris Girl = April = fabric, Fabric FABRIC!!
            Time spent with cats is never wasted.
            Sigmund Freud

Comment

While that probably is a nice size throw, I like mine around 60X80 then if I want to lay down and cover I can put it under my feet and still have plenty of room, I am only 5' 2'

Comment

I have a 60" by 48" store bought throw that is ok if I am sitting cross legged on the couch. If my feet are down, I tuck one corner under my feet and bring the remaining corner [or try to] up over my shoulders. This barely makes the trip, and I'm 5'5" 135lbs. When I make a throw, it will be 10" bigger both ways, and have a foot pocket. Just sayin . . . .
                Pieced By Me! :icon_wave:

Pre-cut Yardage Chart

Comment

I am 5'8" and many years ago I was given a throw that was 60" x 80". I found it too large: often the edges would be lying on the floor. I started folding it and found it fitted me better. When I started quilting, the throws I made for my home were about 60" x 60". When I am using them, either on the couch or a recliner, I am covered from my armpits to my feet. I usually want my arms free to hold a book, knit, play with electronic devices...

Comment

Another bonus of the 60x60 is that keeps you in the range to use twin size batting (72x90).

Comment

Working...
                    X