Math help for sashing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Math help for sashing

Help! I am no good at math and hope somebody has an app that can calculate yardage for me. I am making a red cross quilt that has blocks with 4 rows of 2-1/2" squares, 16 per block. Blocks are done and trimmed up to 8" square. I am using a layout of 8 across and 10 down. I want sashing between and around outside perimeter. The sashing corner blocks will be Red Cross 9-patch blocks 2-1/2" square.

I meticunously drew this out on graph paper, something I never do! So I could accurately count how many pieces I need. I need 80 main blocks (done). I need 99 Red Cross 9-patches (12 done) and 178 sashing blocks 2-1/2" x 8". I bought 2 yds of sashing fabric. Prewashing caused a bit of shrinkage, leaving me 2 yds 40" wide (due to selvedge and shrinking) x 35" instead of 36" (shrinking). Will I have enough to cut my 178 sashing squares? Thank you for your help. I would never be able to figure this out on my own. I always guess, not the most accurate way of doing things.

Re: Math help for sashing

Someone with EQ7 should be able to help you out. I'm not very good at the math stuff either.

Comment

I think you'll need more fabric. You can get 5 - 8" sashing pieces from 40" wide fabric. 178 pieces divided by 5 = 36 strips needed at 2.5" wide. 36 x 2.5" = 90" or 2 1/2 yards of fabric.
      *~* Myrna *~*
      *~* Quilters lead pieceful lives *~*

Comment

I just got EQ7, and would be happy to figure out the yardage for you, but I have a hard time following a description, so a picture of the block would be helpful. Either sewn or drawn with the finished mesaurements. Then how many blocks in the quilt, ect.
        Pieced By Me! :icon_wave:

Pre-cut Yardage Chart

Comment

I think you need another 20" (AFTER being washed), so I'd play it safe and get 2/3 or 3/4 of a yard.
          5 pcs per strip (you say they are 40" wide now).
          70" (length you ended up with after washing) divided by 2.5" (width of each strip needed) = 28 strips
          28 strips x 5 (pcs per strip) = 140 sashing pcs
          You need 38 more:
          5 pcs per strip (using 40" wof after washing)
          38 pcs needed divided by 5 pcs per strip = 8 strips needed
          8 strips x 2.5" width = 20" (AFTER washing)
          I hope that helps....
          Barbara
          http://www.etsy.com/shop/CraftySweetPeas

Comment

Thanks everybody. Guess I will head back to the store I bought my sashing fabric from and see if they still have some left! But since I bought it just about three weeks ago chances are pretty good.

Comment

Working...
            X