Three quilt tops completed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Three quilt tops completed

I have three quit tops completed, ready for quilting and binding. They're all gifts. Do you usually wash the quilt first, to soften the fabric, or let the giftee take care of that?

Thanks so much!

Re: Three quilt tops completed

I always wash first for several reasons
    1. to make sure all my seams are secure
    2. to remove all (or as much as possible) traces of starch, basting spray, pet hairs, dirt/oils that my hands may have transfered to the fabrics, etc
    3. I don't prewash my fabrics, so after washing a new quilt it shrinks a little and gets that soft crinkled look to it. I don't want the recipient of my quilt to wash a smooth quilt only to have it come out crinkled and they think they did something wrong.

Comment

I always wash first. I'd feel oogie about it if I didn't.

Comment

Agree with Caroline, but will add that I wash with color catchers (several washes) to make sure any fabric bleed will be taken care of with me. Otherwise, the recipient could have a disaster on their hands. Washing also hides (or evens out), any small puckers I may have. Good luck!

Comment

I have never washed a quilt before giving. They seem so new and crisp before washing. Maybe I should rethink this
          Walk in peace with the Lord by your side.
          Terry

Comment

I always wash a quilt before gifting, to remove my marks, dog hair etc.and sometimes with color catchers if there's colors that might bleed. I also think that it gives the recipient peace of mind that it is okay to wash the quilt and it won't fall apart or anything if they wash it. People that don't make quilts get really nervous about a quilt being ruined if they wash it. And of course I always tell them not to worry, it has alteady been washed.

Comment

Working...
            X